The Mad Scientist

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition


Crack crack!!! The shiny, glistering sun shone through the window. As the sun rose, the mad scientist slid his skeleton fingers across the shimmering flask. A flame crackled beside him. As he lent forward, he could smell the burning chemicals from the bunsen burner. Time was running out for him to read his damaged books full of spells. As he opened the book, a cloud of dust burst out. Bang!! He leaned down to clean the dusty ground and as he moved closer to the ground, he could smell the chemicals melting the floorboards beneath him.

Meanwhile, Zara and Ivy walked through the woods as it stated to get dark. Night came fast without a blink before Zara knew that her and Ivy had to out run the mad scientist. The sky was pitch black.
They came across a little river. As they approached the river, they stopped for a drink. Zara and Ivy continue on. Suddenly, they arrive at a house in the woods. They entered the house carefully, although not carefully enough. As Ivy jumped she bumped a book off the shelf. It fell to the ground and dust piled out of it. As she peered down she noticed it was a spell book.
“We could use this to outrun the scientist”, Zara yelled.
“You’re as sly as a fox”, Ivy replied. But she was in on the idea.
They busily made a spell for the mad scientist so that they could outrun him. As they went out to find the bunsen burner, they found the mad scientist waiting for them instead. In shock, they threw the spell on him. His hair stood up and he started to look like a hairy monster from his shoulders up. After an hour of trying to turn back into a handsome scientist, he began to think he would stay monster-like forever.

The mad scientist asked them to go and make another potion, so Ivy and Zara went home through the woods. Ivy found the bunsen burner in the bathroom draw. When they made the second potion they poured it into a flask over the bunsen burner. BANG!!! It crackled. With the potion in their bag they went out to find the mad scientist. When they found him he was drinking water. They told him to drink the potion they had brought along, not the water. Suddenly his body was as hairy as a dog as well! Zara and Ivy had made a mistake.

He decided to make the potion himself so he went to his house and gathered the ingredients. The mad scientist went out to find turnips for the potion but the girls had picked them all. With no turnips left, he finished making the potion without them. He sculled the potion and as 2:00 pm came he turned into a frog! The potion hadn’t worked.
The mad scientist was now a frog for ever and the girls lived happy ever after.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!