Justice

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Fear : The Devil Inside
Curiosity. Curiosity occupies my thoughts as Mrs Willy calls out my name. What will happen? What people will say? I shake my head and stagger towards the stage. Students crowd around me. Lost in thoughts, I stumble. “Watch your step or you just might fall lower than you already have!” Max rants. “S-s-sorry.” I mumble. “Gosh can’t you walk a little swiftly, you shouldn’t even be participating, go compete with snails.” Ricky persecutes. Everyone guffaws. ‘This speech will mend all of this mess.’ I think. I trudge onto the stage, clenching my palm cards in my hands. I level the mic, so that it is directly opposite my lips. “You don’t need to do that Ron, not like anybody’s gonna listen anyways!” Sia shouts. “Justice. Justice…” My voice echoes down the hall. I glance at Grade 7. Some students are yawning while some roll their eyes. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. “Justice, Peace and Unity.” Suddenly the lights seem too bright, the laughter too loud and the whole world starts spinning around me, I take one last glance at my grade and run off into the Library. I tiptoe into the vacant library, hoping Mrs Daisy, the Librarian, won’t notice. “And what exactly do you think you’re doing here, Ms Veronica?” A voice utters from behind the counter. I turn around, hoping I am just imagining things. One look into her vicious eyes and I am out of there. I run and hide behind a bookshelf, expecting her to conclude that she is just assuming things. “I can see you.” Mrs Daisy yells harshly. I stand up and a tear rolls down my face. “What’s the problem?” Mrs Daisy's tone softens being obviously surprised. I look down thinking about all the embarrassing moments that I have had in my life before. “I practiced saying my speech 100 times and I still messed it up somehow.” I reply. In return, Mrs Daisy starts walking towards the exit and motions me to follow her. I wipe my tears and tramp to the door. She leads me to the field. “Did you know that I was once debating captain?” she questions. “Yes, everyone knows.” I respond. “But did you know that I embarrassed myself about ten times before even making it into the team?” she queries. “Are you kidding me right now?” I respond. “No, of course not. Sometimes things happen. You’ve just got to face your fears. I mean what’s the worst that could happen?” I smile and thank her for the advice and then head to the hall. I ask Ms Tamworth if I can attempt to say my speech again and she nods. I take a deep breath and whisper to myself “You can do this” and begin. The audience reaction to my speech is priceless. Sometimes you just have to give things a try, because you never know what is in store for you.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!