A Life Guards Success

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

There I was standing on the edge of stone jetty watching the waves as they crash down onto the rocks below my feet. As I feel a shiver travel up my spine and the blood pump through my veins, the same question keeps rotating through my head - what is success? I can even hear my heart pulse through my body. Then all of a sudden it changed, as I glanced across the water again I aliased its not about me: I saw a young, small boy wailing for help with his hand frantically waving up into the air.
I ran deep into the water with my board and jumped on it, ias I arrived to the location of the boy, I realised the beach was empty, and he had been left behind. I pulled his limp body up onto my board. I heard him gasp "thanks" in a weak, soft tone. As we came into the beaches edge, his parents were nowhere to be seen. We sat, and waited until a distressed woman ran down from the other of the beach: she was crying - the young boy whispered it's his mother.
Mother and son had reunited after such a traumatising day. I then drove home, trying to fathem how could I do that? How did I know he was in danger? how did it happen. Would I be able to do it again?
The next day began, and I was there at work again. I took a deep breath as I walked across the golden sand, down to the water edge. I took another deep breath and smealt the salt of the oceans water, tickle my nose. I unlocked the tower, I scanned my eyes across the water. Then all my colleagues arrived. I then said to myself "another day in the life of a lifeguards."
I looked out just as I had done the day before, accept this time everything looked positive. I looked out again to make sure, and everything was perfect. As I began to pull out my sandwich I watched a beautiful day unfold. When I stepped out of the tower, I could hear a crowd of voices yell "surprise." As I looked down towards the noise on the beach: I saw a bunch of people cheering my name. I queried what all the commotion was for, and discovered that the young boy from yesterday insisted on throwing a party for me. This young boy, a stranger until yesterday and his parents were so grateful, that they could not stop thanking me.
And all I could think was it just part of my job. Soon after my boss then visited me, and gave me the promotion of head lifeguard. But I still just stood there a littlfew confused and wondered maybe this is my success. I continued to stand there and realised I have successfully accomplished my goals in life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!