Dancer With Cancer

My name is Stacy Baker, I’m 15 years old and I’m a competitive dancer. Dancing means everything to me, without dancing I’m just not me.

5 years ago in 2013 I was in a dance class practicing for an upcoming competition, then suddenly I slipped on my leg it didn’t hurt that much, so I just went home and didn’t thing much about it. I stayed at home for two weeks but it didn’t get any better. I was taken to the hospital due to constant pain I was in.

I got an X-ray but the doctors found nothing wrong with my leg. A month later after my X- ray the swelling became really noticeable and I was still suffering from pain.

My mum and I returned to the same hospital and the doctors assumed it to be a fracture. I was then put on crutches and an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan was scheduled. A couple of weeks later, my parents received the shocking news from the doctors that I was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma, a Rare type of bone cancer that eats and weakens the bone.

My family and I were heartbroken. We decided to consult an orthopaedic specialist. Th doctor said that I would have to do a surgery that includes a biopsy. This meant they removed my cancer which was in my lower femur, then they removed my whole knee and took my lower tibia and rotated it 180 degrees backwards, then reattached it to my upper thighs. Now my ankle acts as a knee joint. It lets me do thing that I might not have ever been able to do with other surgeries.

At first I questioned myself why did this have to happen to me, but then I realised that my life wouldn’t have been the same if I didn’t get my leg amputated. I hope one day I can raise awareness for cancer one day to try and help others like myself and those that are less fortunate. It has made me appreciate life much more and to not take anything for granted. Enjoy today because you won’t know if you will have a tomorrow.
BASED ON TRUE EVENTS

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!