Alone In The Night

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Lightning streaked across the sky, illuminating my pale face. My arms and legs trembled in fear as bats pulled at my hair and face. I stumbled and fell onto the muddy path, blood streaming out of a new graze on my knee. Rain spattered hard and unforgiving onto my back, wind howled and tore at my saturated clothes, forcing me down onto my hands and knees. In the distance I saw a dark silhouette that was crooked and cruel. Desperately, I took the winding path that led to the menacing castle that was my only hope.
I stood on the winding, stone stairs that led to the front door. I moved closer, looking carefully at the exquisite designs that bordered the ancient frame of the castle. I shivered because on the door images that looked like ghouls and ghosts swarmed around a small person, swooping and cackling. The door creaked open on it’s own accord, an eerie silence filling my ears.
The storm still raged behind me so I hesitantly stepped inside. The furniture was very old and so dusty that you could barely see the fabric under the thick layer. Cobwebs sagged all around, covering everything in spider silk. Rats skittered around my feet as I took in my surroundings. Moonlight slid in through a hole in the roof, allowing me to see the portraits that were hanging on the walls whose eyes seemed to follow me. I climbed up the rickety staircase, each rotting step sagging a little under the forgotten weight of a person.
My feelings were flooding inside me. Sleeping was not an option in my terrified mind. Ancient statues lined the walls of this room, all wielding cruel weapons of iron. Ghosts moaned and cackled at me. I cowered behind the fireplace, too scared to move. “Help,” I called my voice hopeless, “Help!” Then I passed out in exhaustion.
Morning sunlight shone on my face, warming my sleeping body. Suddenly, I remembered where I was. I sat up so quickly it was like I had been struck with electricity. I peered around the room. The statues were actually mannequins, wearing faded dresses that were dissolving in age. Downstairs, the sunlight lit up the room so it was bright and cheery. The style of the house was old-fashioned and cosy. All the drama from last night was in my imagination!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!