The Cursed Town

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

The Cursed Town
An eerie shiver runs down my spine, as my footsteps echo through the dim and frigid passageways. Ivy coils up the ancient buildings. Loneliness engulfs me. The bright polished sky gleams into my eyes when I glance up. Abandoned clothes blow in the fierce wind and tall buildings stand like old men, their bricks dusty and cracked. A loud clang of a bell roars through the village like thunder.
Quickening my pace, I enter a dimly lit hall. I head towards a towering statue, its body formed from rock-hard cement. The statue looms over me, and a ghostly feeling creeps inside me. I brush the statue; its surface is rough and dusty under my palm. Suddenly, it comes to life. My heart beats faster, and my face drains of colour. “PASSWORD!” The statue booms, its voice deep and cold. I collapse to the ground, panting heavily. “PASSWORD!” It screeches again.
“Who a-are y-you......?” I gasp, staring at a man who crawls out of a hole behind the statue. He stands up, brushing thick layers of dust off his torn clothes.
“I am Jade ... and I was wrong. Rose and I are not the only survivors....” Jade murmured. I stare at him, studying his gloomy face. Jade had untidy ginger hair and wore a grim expression on his stony face. “And you?” he asked me.
I scramble up and examine my rough fingernails. “I am Amelia...the other survivor from the Dark Lord’s evil magic ...” I whispered, shuddering.
Jade glanced over to the small hole next to the statue. “My daughter is down there. Rose! Come meet Amelia!” He called. A moment later, a small girl stumbled out of the hole. Her long blond hair was tied neatly in a long plait, and ash shadowed her pretty face.
“Dad! There...there is another person!” she shrieked, clasping her hand over her mouth, and widening her green eyes. “But how, Dad? Why didn’t the Dark Lord’s dark magic kill this girl?” Rose gasped, her mouth gaping open.
“I do not know, dearest. We were protected because we begged the Dark Lord for mercy. He believed we wouldn’t survive in this harsh land.” Jade sighed. “We will always try to survive. We must embrace your mother’s courage, Rose, and enjoy what’s left of our lives.”
Rose brushed a fallen tear away and clasped her father’s hand lovingly. “Come with us to our ho—” Rose paused and let out an ear-splitting scream.
“I will not let anyone survive!” hissed a high and cold voice. It sliced through the cool air like a sharp knife, cruel and mocking. “You shall die like your wife did, Jade...” The Dark Lord hissed. Immediately, Jade crumpled to the ground, pale and soulless. The Dark Lord stretched out his green and gnarled hands, reaching towards us. My world became a blur. Drowsily I woke up to find myself lying in my bed, hot and sweating. Relived, I sighed deeply and headed hastily out the door.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!