Waiting For Water

Casey sighed. It had been six long months since it had last rained. Her stunted crops were wilted, as if they too had given up hope of making it through the drought. The shimmering sky was clear and cloudless, the sun beat down on Casey and her crops. Even the birds drooped as they mournfully chorused in the lifeless trees.
All of this went unnoticed by a brooding Casey. She was preoccupied with planning her next move. The general consensus was that it would have rained by now yet the paddocks grew dustier day by day. Usually she would have irrigated by now but water prices were prohibitively high. Her crops might have had a chance if the government had provided her with a water allocation, even a few mega litres would have helped.
As Casey turned to go inside she remembered with a sigh that she had volunteered to help at the homeless shelter that night. She wearily trudged inside, snatched her coat from its hook and drove to the homeless shelter.
When she arrived the volunteers had just started to serve out the meal. With the hearty aroma of soup wafting towards her, Casey felt a smile begin to grow. She enjoyed helping other people and it was satisfying to show them that someone cared. She couldn't solve their problems but together they could share a smile and something more...
...a little hope.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!