Sirius

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition



Cold, so cold. Ice was fire in comparison to the frozen fingertips tucked inside her empty pockets. Lyra sat there, gazing out into the curious world wondering why every movement, every sound, everything was based on typical appearance, based on money, not love. She could hear the wealthy child running up the hill to her friends, showing the new doll her mother had given her. But just past that old oak tree was a poor young girl, her back against the rough tree trunk, staring through the moonlight at her favourite constellation which she was named after; Lyra.
When she arrived home, it was freezing. They could not afford a heater, but her grandma knitted some woollen blankets. The other children have a heater in each room, but Lyra could not afford just one. The rest of the night was cold and lonely.
The morning was absolutely stunning! The dewdrops froze on the grass to form tiny ice cubes. She walked back to the old oak tree, the only place she didn’t feel alone.
As she walked through the busy streets the people stared at her, as if she had done something wrong, as if she was some kind of thief. But Lyra had done nothing wrong, it was just the way others see her; a poor, lonely, girl. She ran past all the hate and judgement up to her quiet place at the oak tree. Tears fell down her cheeks. Suddenly she heard a sound; a loud sound like a roar or a scream. She searched in the distance and saw something impossible. Lyra didn’t know what it was. It was a beautiful beast, with indigo, scaly skin, kind of small with two shining silver horns.
All the people were screaming and running from the horrible beast, but Lyra noticed something special about it. She saw a gentle and calming perspective to the creature. She went down further to investigate. Everyone ran home for safety but Lyra walked closer to the unique treasure standing in front of her. “Lyra!” screamed her dad approaching her. “dad Stay back! Please just give me a minute!” she cried. Her dad noticed a side to Lyra he had never seen before. A determined, brave and heroic perspective, so he left her alone, watching from behind. As she drew closer to the beast it calmed down, as though they understood each other. Lyra stopped in front of the creature and looked deep into its emerald eyes. It was silent, all you could hear was the breath of the two figures standing in the middle of the city. Lyra let out a calm smile and very gently placed her hand on the sparkling silver horn. “I’m going to name you Sirius, after the brightest star” she whispered. Her Grandma came out from hiding “Your Mother would be very proud” she said giving Lyra a warm hug. From that moment there was something Lyra had never really felt before, trust and love.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!