Mother

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

As I stared longingly at the half-filled bottle, a plethora of thoughts travelled through my mind. Uncorking the memory that never got stale, a watery scent invaded my nostrils. Water gushed out like a deluge, the memory has been spilt.
Gazing outside the glass window, I sighted an archaic cabin. Excitedly, I jumped out of the car and limped up to an oak door, which protested to open. As I inspected the dwelling, I noticed that outside the moonlight kissing the freshly-cut grass.
As I walked into a bedroom I pounced onto the mattress like an intrepid lion stalking an innocent gazelle. Falling fast asleep, I gaily pictured my mother standing in front of me. Unfortunately, she kept on vanishing away from me.
After I trailed her, I ceased in the middle of an opening. Rivers of moonlight poured onto the opening. Darkness engulfed me. Nearby, I could hear the wind whip like an arrow through neatly-braided trees. Omniscient owls hooted through the black blanket above.
I once again continued my pursuit and called out, “where are you, mum?”
I searched in every direction, but couldn’t find my mum.
“Wake up, Dan! Time to get up!” commanded granny.
I gradually exited my plush bed and surprisingly landed on my two feet. Euphoria travelled through my veins. I was jumping in joy.
At the breakfast table, everyone was awestruck at my two fully-grown legs. I punched the air with delight. I was no longer a handicap. Maybe my dream had assisted me to regain my vacant leg from the tragic car accident which occurred four years ago.
Salty water trickled down my face. I clearly reminisce the time when my amiable mother was in a hospital. Jovially, I could remember the loving days my mum spent with me. Like a mentor, the advice from mums’ mouth was a mellifluous song, so inspiring and compelling. Her fingers are like magic, conjuring the most scrumptious meals. Mums’ heart is made of gold. She is my east and my west, the light at the end of the tunnel. The humour and interactivity she has with me are so cherishing. Even during the rough times, she was the one who pulled me up.
Thankfully, my limb had been paralysed while my mother was severely maimed. She was diagnosed with a brain fracture and the results say she won’t live for long.
“Don’t be sad, be happy. I’ll always be there for you, on Earth or in heaven.”, consulted my mum emotionally. Negative thoughts attacked my head.
How long is left?
What should I do?
The line on the monitor straightened and my mother respired her last breath. Silence invaded the ward as she rested in peace.
A girl with long golden hair and blue eyes smiled and greeted my mum from above. “It’s time”, echoed the heavenly voice.
Droplets of water returned safely to its home as the cap clicked itself close. The dim light started to flicker off, the memory has been restored again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!