War Between Colonies

The ground shakes with our footsteps, our hearts are out for all to see. Every thump makes me remember what we are fighting for; why so many of us are dying. Why childhood friends are standing side by side to fight against the enemy. This battle that will be forgotten by all but those who are lost. We, whose story will not be told, though we are everywhere. We, who die by the thousands in these battles; invisible enemies against each other. Forgotten heroes of these battles. Battles that happen all the time, within plain sight but without recognition. As if there are no reason for the deaths, for the destruction. Though we cannot bleed, we may suffer. But no matter our fate, we would all die if it was for the sake of our Queen. For the sake of our loyalty the Queen will survive and so will the colony. What else do we need but our pride as ants? But the enemy has the same mindset. Just one more. One more ant to kill. One more worker, or soldier gone means victory for us. For our Queen. For the future workers. For those who can protect our Queen once we are gone. My family beside me. If we are to fail, it doesn’t matter if some survive we will see our doom loom closer as we see our brethren fall. One by one. All hope would be lost. We would fall into despair. The beats stop, the sudden quietness pressing in. We stop and wait. For what, I’m not sure. A cry of victory? Screams of defeat? Whatever the result, the war is over, the end. We do not move for fear of being discovered when a sudden uproar of sound crashes over us. Panic. That is the only feeling we had as the beat returns, racing towards our hill. We wait until it is almost overhead before we rush out, hoping to at least slow them down. Bright light before clarity. Joy as we realise that these are our friends, family. Beyond all odds we are victorious. Those who did not make it lay around us, but they too helped the queen and shall continue to help, even if only to feed the family. Although we cannot take the injured back with us, they shall lay here as a memorial for this battle. Even for a short time, we will have helped those who truly needed it. Every little bit of help is better than this. We have won. For the Queen. For the colony. May this battle be our last for a long time, we have lost too much for too little. I have lived a long life of 56 food deliveries, but my life will not last much longer. I can already feel the end loom closer and faster than ever. Although I will happily die now, at the end of this battle, with all my fallen family surrounding me, it is still a sad time, to be yet another forgotten soldier. Watching as a smiling face looms above us. Marvelling over all the death that they have created. That a single ant can create such a battle.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!