Fire And Fury

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

At dawn the soft susurration of the leaves that had been Mira's lullaby through the night became a fierce rustling sound, loud enough that the chirping of the birds was not heard. The wind had built up gradually weaving through the tree trunks. Soon it was accompanied by rain. Each droplet alighted on Mira’s skin with just enough coolness to bring her mind to the present, to pull her away from the pain of the past. The beads over her face, more numerous than even the freckles in her skin, joined to wash over her in a delicate cascade of trickles. Mira looked up at the tree she was lying under, leaves tumbled from the interlocking branches above.
Mira examined the land around her, the place she referred to as home was abolished. The memory would not leave her mind, she remembered the intoxicating smell of smoke filling her lungs. She watched as the deep flames of the enraged fire swallowed up her home in one sweep. She remembered the feeling of not being able to breath. Not hearing the simplicity of her heart racing in her chest. The beautiful land wilted and crackled under the ferocity of the ravenous flames, turning to ash. The once pale blue sky was shielded by a veil of darkness. Fierce fire could be seen sneaking their way out from the rows of trees.
Mira tried to get the memory out of her head, she closed her eyes, unable to bear the horrific sight. The trees that sheltered so many with their spreading canopy of green, and provided so much are now lifeless sticks of charcoal. They are no more vibrant than the old lamp-posts in the city. The light illuminates the scorched ground and still that smell of burning lingers despite the rain. In simply a matter of seconds, Mira developed a hatred for fire. She was filled with rage, a fire of her own burnt inside her. However, this fire was cold, it was a frozen fury. Mira determinedly wiped her white salty tears off her pale face. She was extremely infuriated, yet, who was to blame? This fire was a natural disaster, humans had no impact. Who could help her? She had nowhere to go, her beloved family was also lost during the bushfire. Mira had nothing. All she wanted to do was reunite with her family.
Mira mustered up all her strength and stood up, every move hurt. She bit her lip, the pain was too much to bare. Suddenly Mira heard a familiar cry, her mother and father ran towards her and embraced Mira in their hug. The joy she felt was infectious, starting as a tingle in her fingers and toes, then spreading across her body. Later that day Mira and her parents paid gratitude and appreciation to the organisations that helped them get back on track, despite the terrible bushfire. They also felt satisfaction, knowing that they have helped an innocent family during times of need.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!