Venice: A City Of Marvels

It was a warm, sunny day in July in the City of Venice. The early morning rays of sun beamed in Carla’s face as the green gondola swayed gently in the breeze, riding the soft, tumbling waves. Tall, limestone buildings lined the crystal blue waters of the City of Canals, with hundreds of people marching up and down the many different bridges. She could smell the fresh, salty sea air and the taste of sea salt on her tongue. She heard the loud, crashing waves and the hustle and bustle of a big city. Carla leant down over the side of the boat and let her fingers slide gracefully upon the surface of the ice cold water. “Isn’t it wonderful?” Francesco the gondolier asked her, in a rich, Italian accent that was like music to her ears. “Yes, It’s absolutely beautiful!” Carla beamed, awestruck.

Her amazing blue eyes had the same startling clarity as the water beneath the gondola. Her long brown hair with gold streaks was pinned at the back of her head in a soft, messy bun and her eyelids were painted with matte, pink eyeshadow. She was dressed in a floral summer dress that was a yellow colour as rich as the sun, and she wore white leather sandals. Carla was mildly enjoying the spectacular views and amazing sites of Venice. The gondola was gliding closer to the Rialto Bridge, that stretched over The Grand Canal. The white, intricately sculpted statues that stood on top of the Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca' d'Oro peeked from behind the many different limestone buildings. “We will be at the Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca' d'Oro in five minutes now,” Francesco said. Carla was bubbling with excitement. Her eyes twinkled in amazement at the spectacular art museum. She was lost in the midst of her thoughts and daydreams. She couldn’t wait to get inside and explore the many different paintings. SCREEEECH!! The gondola came to a halt, bumping into the pier. She jumped, startled by the loud noise of the gondola and the pier colliding. Carla noticed a torn and brown stained square material of some sort being carried in her direction by the wind, disregarded and unwanted. As it flew closer to her, she realised it was a piece of paper with its edges crumbling and its once miraculously white colour, now a dirty brown colour. She caught it in mid-air and started unfolding it, eager to read its contents. It read: ‘Missing Artwork from the Galleria Giorgio Franchetti alla Ca' d'Oro. Last seen on November 21,1998. Find this artwork and there will be a REWARD!!’
Carla was exuberant and excited. A roller coaster of thoughts and questions whirled inside her head. How could a paper, from nearly twenty years ago, simply just fly within her clutches? Was it some kind of joke, or was it real? Could she be the one to retrieve the missing artwork from the Venice art museum and become a worldwide famous detective?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!