Madeline Groves

Olympic swimmer Madeline Groves has won national title after national title to become one of the best swimmers in Australia.
When Madeline was 12, she started swimming competitively in butterfly and freestyle, quickly unlocking her talent. By the time Madeline was 15 she was swimming professionally, and by 18 was national champion in the 200m butterfly.
2014
2014 was when Madeline’s career took off. The 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow was Madeline’s first big competition and didn’t she put on a show. Madeline swam in the heats for the Australian gold medal winning team. Madeline also did extremely well in the individual events taking home bronze in the 200m butterfly.
2015
In 2015 Madeline pushed herself to her limits, and when she was chosen for the world aquatic championships it all paid off. Starting with ninth in the 200m butterfly, and it just got better claiming bronze in the 100m butterfly. To top it all off Madeline took home gold in the medley relay.
2016
In 2016 Madeline was selected for her first Olympic Games, her events were the 100 and 200 metre butterfly and the four by 200m medley relay. At Rio Madeline came 17th in 100m, she only swam in the heats for the medley but the team claimed silver. The 200m butterfly at Rio was one of Madeline’s toughest races in her career. She was leading for the first 150m, Spain’s Mireia Belmonte and Japan’s Natsumi Hoshi were hot on her heels the girls went stroke for stroke to the wall, Madeline gave all she could to touch the wall first, but it wasn’t enough claiming silver 0.3 seconds behind Mireia Belmonte.
2017
2017 was a horror year for Madeline. FINA imposed twelve month suspensions on two Olympic champions, Thomas Fraser-Holmes and Jarrad Porte, for not turning up to a drug test. FINA made the same charge against Madeline but her lawyer argued that FINA hadn’t done enough to find Madeline and the ban wasn’t imposed.
2018
At the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast Madeline took home two gold medals one for the 100m butterfly and one for the 50m butterfly.
Madeline is going to attend her second Olympic Games in Tokyo and she’s only 23!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!