Run

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

I ran. I ran as fast as I could. The rain was coming down hard. It felt like tiny rocks hitting my body. The wind was pulling me back but I had to keep going. I heard a deafening howl so I knew that they were close. I turned around but the rain was so blinding that I couldn’t see a metre behind me. Another howl. I built up speed every step I took. Then, I fell. Brown, gooey, thick mud engulfed me. Every time I tried to get up, I would fall again. I finally got up and kept running. It was hard because the mud had added extra weight, but I couldn’t waste any more time. Then, another howl, but this time from in front of me. There was nowhere to go. Another howl to my right. They got closer and closer. A howl to my left. The rain came down even heavier and I was more tired than I had ever been. Then, behind me.
I was surrounded.
I looked up and saw a full moon peeking through the trees. I also saw a ledge within reaching distance. I quickly grabbed on and hoisted myself up. I got to my feet and started running again. The path started to disappear and I was quickly descending into darkness.
I woke with a start. Sweat was dripping down my face. I thought it was a bad dream, but it was a real-life nightmare. I opened my eyes and saw black holes staring into my soul. I realised that the sweat was actually drool and I was covered in it. They were all around me. I tried to scream but no sound came out.
The thought of dying without saying goodbye suddenly felt like it was becoming a reality. I forced myself to sit up and then slowly and cautiously, I stood up.
I ran. I ran as fast as I could. But this time I wasn’t running for my life, I was running home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!