I can't believe it happened to me


It was November 22nd 2005. I was shivering all over. I had been doing so well so far. All I had left was the bars……. That’s right I’m a gymnast, well was a gymnast. This is my life changing story.

It was the most important competition of the year. It was to see if I could enter the Olympics. My coach really wanted me to win this, not just for me but for him as well. He was psyched about the comp. I went to bed on the eve of my competition with no idea the next day would change my life.

The next morning came quickly. The sun rose just like any other day. I got to the comp and met my coach. He kept saying things like... “Lets go Anna this is an important one don’t stuff up and do this for you AND ME.” The pressure was really on me. Before I could back out I heard my name being called.
I jumped up on the bars. I looked for my parents in the crowd, maybe that’s what put me off, I’m not sure but I new I wasn’t concentrating. I started talking myself through the competition. “Two swings change to next bar swing around double flip.” All of a sudden I forgot what was next. My mind went blank. All I could think of was I need to impress my coach. But before I could think of what was next it was too late. I hit my face on the bar and fell on my neck. I remember the pain and all the faces looking down on me. Then mum came. “It hurts so much.”
“I know sweetie, it will be ok” I could see the tears building up in my mums eyes.
“Hold my hand Mum.”
The look on Mums face scared me so much. “I AM, you can’t feel that?”
“No, no I can’t!”
“Here?” she said holding my upper arm.
“No.”
“Here?” her voice was growing louder as she touched my legs. I couldn’t feel anything until she touched my shoulders and face. The next thing I new I was in an ambulance.

For the next 5 days I just lay in that horrible hospital bed trying to look positive on my future. My mum, dad and friends came to visit me. Everyone except John , my coach. I guess I didn’t think much of it.

The day of the news had arrived. Would I be able to walk again? The doctor walked in. my mum and dad were there. He tried to make conversation but I guess the look on my face made it quite obvious that I didn’t.
“Anna I am afraid there’s no easy way to say this but no, you won’t be able to walk again……..Words can no describe how I felt. Devastated ,angry I guess but I couldn’t show my emotions. I guess there was a little good news that in a few months I was expected to get my feeling back in my upper body.

For three months my life was turned upside down. Until one morning I sat up using my arms. I called my mum and gave her a hug. The first one for three horrible months. I stopped being home schooled and went back to school. I can’t explain the way people looked at me and made me feel.

It had been 5 months since I had heard from my coach. I had forgotten about until April 5th. I was in my car coming home from school. There was a man at our door. When we got closer I realised it was john, my coach.

I dragged myself out of the car and when john saw me in my chair I could tell he looked shock. He asked if he could talk to me. I wish I could say no but I needed to be polite.

We went into the living room. He just then blurted everything out like he had been holding it in.
“I know that you blame me for this and I blame myself”, I could see the tears swelling in his eyes.
“You think I would have learnt.”
“What do you mean?”
“I used to coach another girl around your age I put pressure on her as well, worse than you. She was also pressured by her parents. I could have stopped it I suppose.”
“What happened?” I asked
“One night she had had enough it was so stupid of her, of me. Her parents found her, she had slit her wrists.”

I changed after that talk. I started playing basketball for the disable. I didn’t like it as much as gymnastics but I still had the memories.

I may have lost my ability to walk but I gained a valuable lesson.
Things in life stop you but you just need to learn to remember all the great things you do have.

BY ANNA MORAN

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!