The Night Thief

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

The Night Thief

The dark alleyway provided no protection from the blazing sun. Shadows were cast in all directions. Soon Thomas would have to get up from his deep slumber and have to walk to the mall, while lugging the heavy sleeping bag, a stale bread roll and his makeshift pillow. The walk would be long and treacherous for Thomas, because Thomas was not like anyone else. He was homeless. Thomas slept on the streets all day, but when the darkness leaked into the light, he was ready.

After months of sleeping rough, Thomas was almost nocturnal. With the setting sun, Thomas’s eyes blinked open. He didn’t have much time. The shops would open in only 8 hours. Time flies when you are a thief.

Thomas stealthily approached the mall. He sat silently eating his musty bread roll in his hideout; a toilet cubicle. He sat atop the stained toilet seat, trying to make himself comfortable. Soon, the bread roll was nothing but crumbs that slipped through Thomas’s fingers. At that moment, Thomas slipped out of the cubicle and silently made his way to the food court.

It was night now; the shopping centre was deserted. Very few shops were open, security cameras filming nothing but empty space. Thomas would have to be careful to avoid these. He slinked around a corner and spotted his destination. Subway.

At this time, it was closed. It was always closed. This was no problem for Thomas though. He gently fiddled with the lock until it opened. Thomas squeezed through the open door and made his way to the kitchen.

The fresh smell of Greek lamb, meatball subs and salad were very welcoming for Thomas. He briskly walked to the pantry to collect what he needed. Thomas always made his much-loved steak and melted cheese sandwich.

After roughly 10 minutes the legendary sub was finished! The brilliant smell wafted into his nose, Thomas breathed in gladly. Just as Thomas was about to wolf it down torchlights bounced off the walls. The alarm had gone off. This only meant one thing. The cops were here.

Thomas raced out of Subway like Usain Bolt. Shouts echoed through the mall. Thomas had done all this work. Nothing could stop him now.

Finally, Thomas reached the toilets. He opened one of the doors to a cubicle and stepped in. With a full-on police chase, Thomas would have to stay quiet and hope not to be found. One thing was for sure though, this was where Thomas would stay for the rest of the night.

When morning came the police had evacuated the shopping centre. As he made his way back to the streets, Thomas munched on his beloved sandwich. The police chase, the breaking in, all of it was worth it for these juicy bites. This was the life of a night thief. Whether he wanted it or not he was stuck with it. Survival was key.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!