Memories

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

…It was the middle of summer when Gertrude Grazer and Berty Carson went to the beach. They quickly climbed out of their car and walked all the way to the shoreline. The seagulls made a mournful screech while they flew high in the sky. The sound of waves crashing against the jagged rocks and the sound of each leaf brushing against each other soothed their senses. Gertrude reached down to grab the smooth sand, but it quickly flowed out of her hands. They felt a cool breeze, while the water tickled their feet. Berty sighed as she glanced at the colours of the sky that had merged to form a spectacular sunset. They started strolling down the shore of the beach, laughing merrily along the way, slowly eating their hot fries along the way…
…Sitting on her bike. The birds were chirping softly on the tree tops. The sunset was just peeking out of the tall trees that covered the edges of the rocky dirt path. Gertrude stood at the bottom, gazing at the magnificent ride she had ahead of her. The insects started to chirp as the other cyclists rode past.
“I can do it! It’s only a couple of kilometres…” Grazer persisted with a little tone of doubt in her voice.
She gripped her hands on the handles of her bike and leaned forward like she was a professional cyclist in a race. She removed her right foot from the muddy, leaf littered ground. She started peddling forward. Gertrude could feel every bump and crack on the ground with her old, rusted bike. The bike’s paint was slowly peeling off. Eventually, she started to increase her speed. Half way around the track, Gertrude zoomed past the trees and bushes. It turned into a blur for her. She had a huge smile plastered across her face. The breeze brushed against her causing her hair to fly everywhere…
…Horse Riding. Gertrude leaned forward and pined her eyes straight towards the hurdle 50 meters away. She had to do this last jump. This was a 10-pointer round and she only needed 7 more points to win. Beads of sweat dripped down her forehead and her grip on the horse’s harness tightened. She took a quick glance at the mountain range, which normally calmed her down. The mountains were blanketed with lush green nature. The sun was right above Gertrude as she concentrated on the ‘competition winning jump’.
“3…2…1!”
The horse galloped forward. Gertrude’s had leaning straight ahead. The horse’s feet stretched out in the air. Gertrude closed her eyes half way through the jump and kept them close. Abruptly the crowd roared with happiness. She won, she actually won! Even she couldn’t believe it. She jumped off the horse and revealed her massive smile on her face…
“Mrs Grazer…Mrs Grazer… Are you awake?” The nurse said in a cheery voice…
Gertrude suddenly got her senses back. She studied her surroundings. She read a title that said, ‘Sunny’s Old Age Care’.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!