Neglect Kills


Beloved Katie,

I’m not as strong as everyone thinks I am. Neglected by my family, I don't know why but my younger sister hates me, even my relatives treat me like an outcast. Every day, the smell of alcohol ricocheting off my dirty clothes, my parents arguing. Unwanted rodents wandering over my bruised feet. It just became too much. It leads me to where I am now. I literally have no motivation to save myself. I’m lost. I don’t actually remember a time when there was no pain and no suffering. I don't remember a time of complete happiness. Sometimes I wonder why I was born. My life has no meaning. Just pain. The bruises have disappeared, the scars have faded. But the things they've said, the words, they will never leave me.

As I grew there was never anyone around to do the basic things that a child needs, like cooking meals. Mum wouldn’t even notice whether I had or hadn’t gone to school as she was always upstairs. But when all gets too much, I had my heaven, it was beautiful and I forgot about everyone and everything that hurt me. I listened to the ripple of the leaves above. The splashing of the distant lake. However, the whispers of the wind smothered me. They try to tell me things I already know. I'm not supposed to be here anymore. It's my time to go. You need to understand that it hurts so bad and all I want is it to be over. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words truly do shatter my soul. The words that have been shouted at me, cursed at me, the words that have broken my ears. They are what has destroyed me. I’m lost, being lost in a world of loneliness. No one to talk to and no one to tell. Nobody knows what really goes one. I can’t sleep at night, I’m too scared that they will hurt me. Yet I can’t get up the next day because I don’t know what the day has to bring. More misery? More desperation? I’m sorry if this hurts you but by the time you have read this, I will no longer be in pain and the words would have faded with the suffering of the past. I will be in my heaven where I belong. All I need to say is thank you, thank you for being the best friend I could've ever had. Now goodbye, but not forever, I will see you again when it’s your time to join me.


Love your best friend, Keira

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!