No Going Back

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

The scorching sun is blazing against my skin. I can feel a droplet of sweat run down my face. The salty drops continue covering my forehead as I look at the trucks drive past. My twin brother and I are both living on the streets because our parents died and we’re now homeless.
I’m the louder brother Tom. But Frank, my twin brother is timid. However, we’re both silly and like causing mischief. We’re so hungry our stomachs are rumbling. Everyday we see people walking past with mouthwatering food and we get jealous. One day we hope we can get some money and live like normal kids our age.
We get up from the ground and start walking along the pathway. Which is part of our daily routine each morning, to see if there are any coins lying on the ground, that people have dropped. “Look there's a dollar!”, yelled Frank. “That was the loudest you’ve ever spoken” I whispered. We walk along the streets and come across a bakery and use the dollar on a loaf of bread.
As soon as we leave the bakery I bring the bread to my nose, breathing in its scent. I break it in the middle leaving us each half a piece each. Suddenly, both our heads shot up from a loud bang that burst into our ears. “RUN!” we both scream out. We don’t get far away because we bump into a large man. As we both make a run for it the man shouts, “Hey you two, come back”. As we’re running we see a small supermarket. We’ve thought about doing this for a while, but now the time has come. We are going to take some food.
“The plan is to grab some food, hide it in our pockets and not get caught” I say to frank. He nods in response and we walk into the store. We head towards the candy and chocolate area. I turn around to make sure the cashier is not watching us. I put a thumbs up to Frank so we can start filling our pockets up with delicious food. I start grabbing all my favourite lollies. As I am about to grab a bar of chocolate a loud shout from a woman makes me drop it onto the floor. “Stop right there!” the cashier lady says to us. Frank and I keep backing up towards the door but we notice there are police standing down the street. We make a run for it out the door. As the humid air hits my face I hear the cashier yell out, “Police quick catch them”. Running faster down the street and we make it to the backyard of a rundown house. Only to find the man we bumped into earlier sitting on the porch. Frank points to the broken fence suggesting we run through it. As we make it through I feel at ease that we escaped without getting caught. There's no going back.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!