The Spirit

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Iridescent lights flickered somewhere in the distance and reminded me of the faltering fire and spirit ablaze in my heart. Memories tugged at my head and I thought of that home I never had, that guiding light in the darkness that lead me to inevitable doom, and the ludicrous possibility that I might be the only hope left for those who depended on me.

Multicoloured lights flashed from swaying boats on the shore, and I could vaguely hear the waves crashing on sodden sand. I held a bag of dreams in my hand. Memories and possessions. Old photographs, books, and strange items that had value to me. I had to leave, my enemies are on our trail. The others have left, but I am just checking that we have not left anything behind, and then we will hit the road. I am tired and tempted to sit down, yet instead I gently scold myself for getting captivated by the beauties of nature and distracted, when time is of the essence. The police were after me. My murky past. Crimes that I should pay for, but I don’t have the guts to give up. Not now.
I was jolted to the present moment, no longer a part of previous victories – climbing trees with my sister and winning back my best friend’s heart – incredible memories.

A shout sounded from below and shock drifted through the air, it landed on my shoulder. It’s razor sharp talons dug into my skin and drew specks of invisible blood. Shock is the creature we all are afraid to meet. Me especially. I had thought that the annual town barbecue would be a good day to escape, but I was very wrong.

Reality struck me like a bolt of unexpected lightning. The smell of burning trees wafted through the air. Fire.
Below the balcony, a blazing fire spat glowing sparks that rocketed to the ground and hit it, in a glistening pool of tears, spreading like a flowing volcano. It erupted into a column of shrivelling stumps, that bowed at the mercy of the fire. I coughed once. Fear swelled up in me, and I choked on tears.

Flames and molten embers were surrounding me. My heart hammered ferociously in my chest, like a frightened bird, constantly threatening to break out of my rib cage and fly away. Sirens sounded from not too far away. Not just fire engines, but police cars, also.
Dizziness surrounded me, captured me. I felt faint and light headed, and I welcomed the dark. Dreams kept me busy, whilst I felt my body lifted and my bag of dreams inspected. Then, I succumbed to the darkness, with the thief of reality – hope – clouding my thoughts.
One single thought - was I destined to die, or would fate bless me with a better future and the possibility of forgiveness?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!