The Secret Of The Bush

The wind gossips about me behind my back, howling with laughter at every faulty step I take.
Some trees whisper warnings with concerned looks on their faces,
While others tease me, as a cat does a mouse, rustling and snickering amongst themselves.
The once pleasant and unique setting I stepped into has turned savage before my eyes.
I start to run, but running makes it worse, for demons of the dark screech from every corner,
Glare at me from every hideaway there is in this ghostly nightmare.

I’m stealing breaths of air with every step I take.
The darkness seems to engulf me, blind me, and throw me around.
All hell breaks loose, the darkness seems to lead and beckon any rascals who want to follow it.
There’s nowhere I can turn, I’m surrounded, I’m as good as gone.

Suddenly, there is a light that overpowers the darkness.
It chases away the uncertain followers and the darkness, having no soldiers left, slowly retreats.
I look around, amazed, for the outback has transformed, kookaburras laughing, trees dancing.
No one will ever be able to guess what lies beneath my feet, just waiting for the sun to go down.
I walk back to camp gazing at the golden globe rising over the now luscious, vibrant landscape.
My mind is scarred from witnessing the ever changing mood of the Australian bush.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!