I Wish I Was A Monarch Butterfly

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

I wish I was a Monarch butterfly, with beautiful orange, black and white colours.
Flying above, I can see so far away, playing with my friends in the sky.

Like most of you, my ancestors weren’t born in Australia, they came here from America.
My family there still travels a lot.
In winter they fly hundreds of kilometres south to Mexico where it is warmer.
There they sleep, sleep through the winter, all together in trees.
I wish I could sleep all winter.

But I haven’t always been this pretty.
I used to be a little fuzzy creature, nibbling away at leaves and crawling along the ground.
Then I curled up in a chrysalis and woke up transformed.
I wish I could change like that.

But don’t let my pretty colours fool you!
Don’t think you can take a bite out of me.
My favourite food is milkweed, making me poisonous to birds.
I wish I could poison my bullies.

That’s enough talking now - I’ve got to fly!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!