I Just Can't Make It!

As my mum’s car turned into the street, I saw the headlights dart down to the other end of the street. I ran to the window to watch my mum pull into the drive way. I was eager to talk to her. Tomorrow was my sixteenth birthday.
My mum rang the doorbell and I ran to open the door.
“Hi sweetie, how are you?” she asked.
“Just great, in fact, I’ve never been better because tomorrow is my birthday!” I replied
“Yes I know honey, I was thinking about that, and I was just about to ask you what you wanted.”
She asked this every year. My mum is a lawyer, working for one of the top firms. She hasn’t come to one of my birthdays since I was six. My dad and grandparents always organised it.
With a nervous smile I mumbled, “Actually, I just want you to be at my party, to celebrate with me.”
She looked at me puzzled, “Sweetie, you I am extremely busy with work. Is there anything else you want?”
I was expecting this, I frowned and dropped my head, disappointed and answered, “I’ll think about it.”
All I want is to have my mum there, to look over at as I cut the cake and see her give me her glowing smile. For her to tell her she loves me and take me into her arms. All I want is the people I love most to be standing beside me, all the way.
I went to my room, rested my head on my pillow and sobbed. I knew that she wouldn’t be there. I remembered the way my father used to lift me high in the air and spin me around as I squealed. I miss him. I miss his smile, his childish laugh, his outgoing character.
The next day I woke up to a note at the end of my bed, it read:
I’m sorry Sarah, I wish I could be there,
they really need me at work,
Have a wonderful birthday. LOVE YOU. Mum
Mum left me this note every year and had never made it in time. The party started with all my friends and grandparents. I waited at the window the whole evening. I felt empty. I want her there. I realised that it would be just like every other year, she wouldn’t come.
We all gathered around the table, as I went to cut the cake, I heard the door click.
I saw my mum walk slowly into the room, a smile broke out onto my face. I burst out into tears. I ran out into my mum’s arms. I felt so safe, like there was nothing in the world that could make me happier.
“I didn’t think you’d come,” I said.
“I wouldn’t miss this for the world, how about we cut that cake” she replied.
That year I had no wishes, every one of them had come true. It was perfect…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!