HOW I BECAME THE GUARDIAN OF FANTASIA

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

I sensed someone was following me- I could feel it. I nervously glanced over my shoulder to see a mysterious robed figure behind me, I quickened my pace hoping it was a pedestrian- it wasn’t. My heart raced, and I broke into a sprint, but to my sheer horror four more identical figures closed in around me forming a weird five-pointed star. The figures drew closer muttering strange incantations.
Suddenly I felt like acid had been poured over my back and my skull was being stretched. I let out an ear-splitting scream as I looked at my fingers- they had grown and curved into ferocious claws. The figures lifted their hoods to reveal terrifying grey blank faces, with nothing but a mouth that began speaking in a harsh, rasping voice “Tessa Brown, your transformation is complete- you shall now replace us as the guardian of Fantasia. You have great responsibility - slayer of beasts, protector of innocents and of this sacred land.
I was shell-shocked! I had grown towering brown feather wings, twisted horns hung from my head and my claws…ugh-they were terrifying! I shook my wings and gave an almighty flap, launching myself into the air with a whoosh- Oh what a feeling! I flew to a nearby forest searching for shelter but was intercepted by a pack of ferocious wolves hurtling towards me at tremendous speed. Taking cover in a tree, I soon realised they were running from something. As they passed I saw a blurred figure of a man chasing them at superhuman speed, he made a lunge at a tiny wolf, whom I watched in amazement as it transformed into a screaming young girl. “The guardians may be gone but it isn’t over!” screamed the werewolf child, this angered the man and he opened his mouth to reveal sharpened fangs…VAMPIRES!
He was about to bite the child! I made a determined growl, swooped out of the tree and grabbed the ravenous vampire- digging my claws deep into his pale flesh. He attempted to pierce me with his fangs but was unsuccessful. I gashed at his face and he fought back hard- catching me off guard, he bit into my arm. The sight of my scarlet bleeding wound seemed to please the vampire, he picked me up whispering, “You could never defeat me anyway so why bother? I am going to make you suffer…” He hurled me violently through the air! If it wasn’t for my wings I would’ve plummeted to my death! Then it hit me- Vampires burn in holy water! I raced back as fast as lightening and grabbed the vampire by the shoulders and thrust him deep into Fantasia’s sacred lake. The scalding water turned red and bubbles furiously floated up…
That was the first battle but not the last. I now stand proud with claws and wings because I protect innocents, and slay the beasts.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!