Safe At Last

The coast was clear. The expression on Raphael’s face finally eased. They quickly dashed through the hallway and into the first door on their right. They exited through the back and found themselves facing a busy street crowded with hundreds of people and a few cars and motorbikes in the midst. Raphael finally felt like they were safe, but he kept his eyes peeled. They had caught him once before, and he didn’t want it to happen again.

Raphael, Gardo followed with Angela following close after. They quickly maneuvered through the busy crowd. Soon after a few police officers emerged from the building and with that their small glimmer of hope dimmed. The police pushed and shoved through the crowded street doing anything to get through. They turned into a dark alleyway and entered a building. A woman poked her head out to see what had happened

“What are you kids doing?”, asked the old lady. The woman looked like she was in her eighties. She wouldn’t be much of a threat, but they had to be careful. Raphael took a moment think then replied.
“We’re just playing hide and seek and got lost”.
“Where are you from?”
“Oh we’re trash pickers from Smokey Mount..., I mean we’re from out of town”
“It’s getting late so why don’t you get a bath and get into some warm clothes. Then we can have some dinner’’

That was an offer they could not deny. They hadn’t had any food since the morning and hadn’t had a bath since god knows when. They all had a bath and then got into the warm clothes provided. After that, the five sat down at the table and had their dinner. Raphael, Gardo had never used a knife or fork so they tried their best. After a while, the old lady went to the bathroom.

“We should get ready to leave, we have to get there by midnight and it’s a long way”, said Raphael quietly. “Agreed!” said Angela. This was the first time she had spoken in hours. The Gardo seemed sceptical, but they also agreed. None of them wanted to leave but they knew they wouldn’t be safe if they stayed. When the old lady returned Raphael explained that they had to leave immediately. “But can’t you stay for dessert?” she asked. Judging from their expression she realised that was a no and with that, they left.

After travelling for a few hours they were all extremely tired, but they finally came to a dock. There there was a group of around fifty boarding a small fishing boat. The group joined the line and soon after they boarded the ship. They all took one last look at the city because from then on they were refugees heading for Australia.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!