The Last Page

I know that no one’s perfect, but I’m far from perfect. No matter how hard I try I’ll never be good enough. But everyone is unique, and what I found on my journey, is that there’s no point focusing on what you can’t do, but what you can do. My name is Poppy, and this is my story.
Today’s my 13th birthday and I received $1.00, from my grandmother. I never get any money, because my family often forget about my birthday and I don’t have any friends, so I’m always lonely.
But this time is different; someone cares.
I rush outside and sprint down to the local bookstore to see what I can buy. I gaped at the number of books but was disappointed to find there was nothing there for $1.00. I continued frantically looking until I found a dusty old book in the back. It was thick and had a brown leather cover. This was the only thing for a dollar, so I bought that.
I was delighted by the story. It is about a young boy named Chad, who is lonely and feels worthless, until he finds that he has a special talent, that he has a superpower. Chad could move things without touching them, with his mind. I thought the story was lovely, and when I reached the end, I was sad to have finished. However, on the last page, there was a message, and I read it aloud.
If one is lonely,
If one feels sad,
This person will,
Be just like Chad,
I thought this was just a prank, but when I finished reading it, an unfamiliar sensation passed through my body. I shook my head, telling myself it is nonsense and fell asleep.
When I awoke, I felt different, special. The air felt thick, like it was an object. I grabbed a section of it and pulled. I was astonished when a book came flying toward me even though I didn’t touch it.
I started grabbing the air and pulling things toward me, then my mouth dropped, and I froze as I realized what the poem meant.
I have the powers that Chad had in the story. I know you would think I would be out of my mind with excitement. But I wasn’t. I’m going to be a freak, a weirdo. Why couldn’t I be good at something useful, like writing stories or singing songs? I reached school, no this has to be a dream. I looked around and screamed! Someone was drowning. Without even thinking, I yanked and pulled him toward me.
He was saved, and I sighed with relief.
I waited for praise. I didn’t realise that fame wasn’t everything, and I’m ashamed of that.
Everyone thought that it was a miracle, but when I told everyone what actual happed, no one believed me. My powers never worked again, and I think I know why. Is what happened true? You be the judge of that.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!