Crystal's Crusade

Gliding majestically through the aqua water, the beauty of these animals is over-shadowed by screams of pain. On closer inspection I realise they are Spinner Dolphins and one is in trouble!
I instantly call the rescue group Orrca. I hope they can help! It feels like hours later that they actually arrive. They whisk away the injured dolphin. I have the honour of riding in the back, so I can answer questions and tell them what I know. I also get the honour of naming this poor little dolphin, in the end I go for Crystal. Just like the clear water, I spotted her in!
When we arrive back at Orrca headquarters, Crystal is rushed straight in for treatment. Meanwhile, I describe what I saw.
“It was early in the morning and I was going for a beach walk. I noticed a pod of dolphins extremely close to the shore, at first, I was excited but then I heard the screams of pain! I noticed one of the dolphins was splashing in a net, as she twisted and turned the ropes pulled tighter and tighter, they cut deeper and deeper into the poor dolphin’s skin. Helpless, she just floated there while her pod protected her. That’s when I called you.”
“Did you notice any vessels in the area?”
“No”, I reply seriously!
I catch one last glimpse of her before she is rushed into surgery. I cannot stop thinking about her, so I decide to put my energy to good use. I Google dolphin injuries and realise this is not a one-off thing, this is actually pretty common!
Crystal’s recovery takes months and I visit her every week. I stay with her for hours on end. After seeing her suffering for what feels like forever, I decide it is up to me to make sure another dolphin does not suffer a similar fate. I ring ‘A Current Affair’ and am surprised to realise that a kid on a crusade is good for ratings. I will apparently make a good story. Soon after, Tracy Grimshaw interviews me! I am thrilled to be getting my story out to the whole world.
I realise through this process that this is where I want to be, this is where I need to be, so I decide to become a marine biologist.
As Crystal’s release day creeps up, it is bittersweet. A part of me wants to keep her with me forever and another part of me wants her to be with her family. When the big day finally arrives, her pod is already there waiting to collect her. The moment she touches the water, she is off and swimming eagerly towards the sunset. She turns back just to flip her tail in a wave to me. Her message is to keep up the good work. I wave back at her as hot tears bubble in my eyes, I know she will be better off with her own kind, wild and free!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!