540

My whole life I’ve wanted to be special. I’ve always wanted to be unique, wanted to be the best, and now I know I am to a special group. My family.
The plane trip to America was very nerve wracking. When I’m nervous I like to speak to my siblings, “You can do this Pip! We have to go now, Mum has to go to the shops.” “Oh, did you...,” too late they all yell “Bye.”
The phone beeps. My eyes blink, each time I stare in a different place. I miss my siblings. My eyes start to sting, and my lip starts to tremble.
All of my emotions flood through my head. Hold on, “Pippa Berley,” I hear my name. I start to tense up on the inside. I look around, my head down, so no one can see the nerves splatted all over it. I put my skateboard down and the tip of my foot on the end, to show the judges I’m ready to start.
“The last competitor with 3 chances at the attempt.” “And she’s off!”
I push down and roll down the starting ramp. My legs feel shaky, my arms have goose bumps. Up and twist I say in my head. I look over at my Dad. My heart jumps up my throat. Where is he? I have to keep going. I race up the high ramp. I close my eyes in fear, knowing I will fall. I drop to the ground. Off my board I go. On the first ramp.
Again, my eyes start to sting, then tears start to run. I sob in hate. Hate of myself. I get up, my head down, not wanting people to see I am miserable. My patchy face, sticky and red from all the tears.
I look up and sigh. My Dad’s head pops up from behind the judges. I look up at him, everyone stares at me. I wipe the tears from my face. I give ‘em the stink eye. No way I’m giving up, I say to myself. I walk up the ramp again and look up and around the course. I look down at my feet. I take off my knee and arm pads.
“Folks, this is definitely a performance today from Pipa Berley, what is she going to do next?” the American guy says.
I take one deep breath and shake my arms. Dad looks at me and nods his head. I look at the commentator and glare. I race down the ramp and up the high one. It goes silent. I close my eyes. My heart feels like it has stopped. I twist and spin in the air and roll down the ramp again. 2 seconds of silence then, the crowd starts to cheer and whistle. I won!
Now I have the feeling, that I can do anything. My family’s arms wrapped around me. That feeling of success, now I know I’m special.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!