Second Chance

I leapt in front of my mother. The gun in his hand was aimed directly at us. There was no way I would let her get hurt. She grabbed onto my shirt, attempting to pull me behind her body, but I wouldn't budge. I wouldn't let her risk herself for me. I guess our sudden movements surprised the man.
Phkkkkkkkkkkk.
The shot echoed off of the marble walls of the bank, a blur of motion - then I felt the pain... In my chest...
I looked down to see my white blouse stained crimson. ‘How can such a beautiful colour be associated with such a bad thing?’ I wondered, feeling dizzy. Turning to my mother, I clutched at my chest, tears were streaming down her face, past her fingers that covered her mouth, stifling any noise that dared escape. Her other hand was still gripping my shirt.
"It hurts; it really hurts." I whimpered out a cough, as tears escaped my own eyes. I glanced at my shirt, covered in the red liquid. These words, they didn't sound like my own, they were raspy, metallic. I only realised why when I lifted my hand to my mouth, wiping my lip. There was blood in my mouth. I coughed again, more blood spilling forth, droplets splattering the ground.
Things were beginning to blur. My vision was fading in and out. I began to sway, back and forth, before the world came crashing down; I came crashing down. I hit the floor, hard. Mum fell to her knees beside me, pulling my head gently onto her lap, stroking my brown curls. Tears spilled faster from her azure eyes, like a flood. Droplets swept down her face, splashing delicately on my own.
Screams and sirens pierced the air. A blur of action surrounded me, as my mother looked into my eyes. Strangers stared, open mouthed, the same worried expressions strewn across their faces.
My head lolled, and I saw his face. He was young, like me, with his whole life ahead of him.
I saw the guilt laced in his eyes, the regret swimming in his mind as he lowered the gun. Our gaze held, then I blinked, and he was gone.
His face will forever be etched in my mind.
Was this it? Was this the last thing I would do?
I wanted more; I wanted to travel, to finish school, to get a job. I wanted to start a family. Did it have to end like this?
As I am slowly dragged further into the darkness that shrouds me, I hear the faint yells of my mother, and voices that are unfamiliar to me.
"There is still a heartbeat!" Are they talking about me?
I soon feel my limp body being lifted, and the next thing I know I feel an electric coarse running through my body and I open my eyes to bright lights as I take in a huge gasp of air. I glanced around and was met with the concerned eyes of the boy that shot me, his face was partially covered and he was in uniform.
I screamed...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!