The Magical Bird

The glimmering sun was rising into the misty orange sky as I watched from my balcony. It had been raining all throughout the night. I went downstairs past my bedroom and out the door. When I walked outside the ground was as cold as ice and my hands were already numb. After I got outside, I walked over to the tree that I always sit on. It was a little cold but that was fine.
Everything was silent until I heard something rustle behind the trees. I froze then the rustling stopped. That rustle was scary, especially because Dad said that there were all sorts of creatures in here. I walked to the spot that I heard the rustling. I looked behind the bushes but there was nothing there. The only thing I could see were some footprints. I looked behind and followed them.
The footprints went for a very long time but in the end it stopped. I finally realised that I was far away from home. All I could see were some old trees and some bushes that were a dull shade of brown. I really wished that I could have shelter because it was starting to rain and then it happened there in the middle of the trees and bushes was a house. As I tiptoed closer, my excitement grew. To my amazement I saw there was a golden tree stretching up through the middle of the house. I felt a shiver of excitement as I thought of a story my Dad had once told me. I suddenly remembered him describing a golden yellow bird that looked like the sunset. The bird sang a beautiful song very much like the one Mum used to sing to me at night. It was just like being back in bed with Mum by my side.
I suddenly realised it had stopped raining and the sun was glistening in the sky. My feelings of being lost and far from home were gone. All of a sudden, the bird glided down from the tree and sung the song again. This time it looked like he was trying to guide me home. I cautiously moved through the bushes and trees, somehow knowing it would lead me back home.
The trees were thinning out as I continued to follow the golden magical bird. The weather was warm like a blanket round my shoulders and my surroundings were gradually familiar. It was with great disappointment the bird flew past the leafy green trees and out of sight. It made me think of the beautiful song and how it led me safely back home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!