Tim's War Story

Stumbling through the barren field, eyes darting left to right, I suddenly heard the ear piercing shrill of an incoming mortar bomb, we all dived for cover, hoping that we would be the lucky ones as the deafening sound started to subside.
My vision went black and I felt a ferocious tug on my arm. Thoughts started rushing through my head, where is my family? And where was I being taken? Turns out I had been placed in a concentration camp. I fell asleep. I awoke to a panic “where am I?” I shouted, I tried to stand up but only to fall back over. Days later I was pulled out of my bed and was shoved into the back of a truck.
“Where was I going?” I started banging on the back of the truck door it budged open. I dived out onto the rough ground and bolted. The enemy was hot on my track…
Running through the towns of Turkey wasn’t easy. As I came to a stop I took a glance over my shoulder only to see Turkey soldiers chasing me. What! What had I done wrong “hey there he is,’ shouted a man in the distance. Here we go again. I stopped near a small shack that looked like it had no use. Perfect I crept inside and hid in the corner as the shouting passed, I was safe for the moment. “Ahh” I screamed as I saw a full grown man asleep on the other side of the room. I soon realised he had been chased like I had.
We had to come up with a plan to escape from here. We were in enemy territory and we had to get out. It was two of us against many Turkey soldiers. How were we going to get out? My new friend and I decided to make a run for it. “There they are,” Shouted a woman in the distance and my new friend bolted “Hurry up Tim,” yelled Andrew. I followed after him. Bullets came piercing past us one came agonizingly close to my head. After the gun firing calmed down I soon found out that my new friends name was Andrew. Andrew and I took a swift turn down a damp back street where we stopped to take a much needed break.
Andrew and I finally made it out of that deafening town. I returned to my unit in the war but I was soon to realise that my trench had been taken over by the by the enemy. I scrambled over to a little hole in the trench to hide. I wake from the clamped space: I was in and made a run for it. My parents! I found my parents, as I slid into the trench. An enemy grabbed out a grenade and chucked it. “Run!” one of my allies yelled but it was too late. The grenade went right through the hole of the trench. I had survived, but I was stuck in a room full of blood and ferocious soldier’s bodies.
Worst of all, my parents did make it. As the trench caved in, I knew it was over.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!