Barry

Barry had not worn his uniform for many years. Now that he was wearing it, all of those memories came flooding back to him. As he stood there, looking at what used to be the grey battlefield, his insides tore apart. He looked out, scanning the horizon with fatigued eyes. He saw someone younger than walking through the field.
***
I walk up trying to get the closest view without him knowing. The old man is looking at a grave. His wife’s grave. I glance up looking towards the headstone. Written on it is ‘Peta Francis and her unnamed baby’. Maybe he’s here thinking of his baby and his wife. He turns sharper than a knife and gives me a long stare. Then he runs. Now I am here standing in the middle of a dirt field.
Alone.
I turned away from looking at the grave. He’s back, holding a corrugated piece of paper with burnt edges. He shows me. His wife. I’m gutted for him. I have one more look at the grave before I go. Once I have said goodbye, I leave him alone. I slowly walk along the dirt goat track to home. The dust from the cars in front of me goes up my nose. As I finish clearing the dust from my nose, I hear the airplanes landing at the airport at full speed. As they’re going over, I get a tingling feeling down my spine. Once I get to the dark laneway were my house is, I come to a halt.
The airplanes, the grave, the uniform. It’s all starting to add up.
I sprint home. As I walk in the door deflated and shattered in my cold and dark home, I slam the wooden door behind me. The weight is lifted off my shoulders as I gloomily slide down the door. I feel better. A lot better. Once I start drifting off to sleep I realise how important family really is.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!