Tamaka And The Time Travelling Pendant

“Oh! What a lovely pendant! I must get it for Tamaka,” Grandma Mina exclaimed, picking something up from a shop shelf. “How much? Fifty dollars! Oh well! I’ll take it.” Mina walked out of the shop smiling.
Ten-year-old, fair haired, Tamaka was staying at her grandma’s for one week. She was very excited because she only visited her grandma Mina about once or twice a year. She bounced in the front seat of her mother’s shiny black car. Her grandma lived about three hours away.
Waiting for them was a welcoming cottage with lots of beautiful African Daises, Desert Roses and Primroses growing nearby. Tamaka quickly jumped out. “Hello grandma Mina!” Tamaka’s excited voice rang out. “Hello darling,” a sweet, old lady entered the room.
“Hi mum,” Tanjie, Tamaka’s mum greeted.
Once Tanjie was gone, Grandma Mina pulled out a small, white box. Tamaka lifted the lid. Inside was a beautiful diamond pendant. At once, Tamaka slipped it on. “It’s gorgeous!” she gasped.
“Well, I’m glad you like it,” Mina stood from a distance to see it better, “But now go and unpack.”
In the spare room Tamaka finished her unpacking. Walking over to the mirror she clutched the cold pendant in her small hand. It lit up, and the next second, Tamaka was twirling and swirling around uncontrollably. When she stopped, she felt very dizzy and tried to hang onto her bed, but, it wasn’t there. She opened her eyes, not seeing her bedroom, but a patch of grass with stick tents nearby. Next to the tents were white men in funny long-sleeved shirts, and dark men, barefoot, handling spears. It took a moment but she spotted a ship anchored close to the shore which had the word “Endeavour” on its side. “Is that Captain Cook?” she whispered. “I will go and see if they can help me.” She walked over and they noticed her immediately! “Hello, little girl, how may we help you?” Cook asked politely. Tamaka told her story of what happened. “Umm...what about asking the surgeon?” someone suggested.
“Yes! good idea!” and they headed to the “Endeavour”.
Inside, they walked into a room with a raggedy-clothed man. “This is John Patten, the surgeon,” one of the men said.
“Hello, I believe you might be able to help me,” the girl enquired. “What’s wrong?” the wise surgeon asked. Tamaka launched into her story. “Yes, I can help,” John declared. “First, take off the necklace.” Tamaka did this. “Now say ekat em emoh esaelp three times.” “Ekat em emoh eaelp,” Tamaka repeated three times. Once again, she swirled and twirled until she felt dizzy. When she opened her eyes, she was back in her bedroom. “Grandma! Oh! Grandma!” she bolted to the lounge.
Of course, Tamaka told of her adventure and Mina listened, intently. “Gosh!” she said, once or twice, but was too surprised to say anymore. Tamaka told all her friends and family and even her teachers! They all gasped and gaped and listened well, eager to hear what happened.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!