Under The Blazing Sun

Macie was a young girl. At the age of nine, she had, had a hard life so far. Because her parents had chosen to live apart, it was extra hard because she had to leave all her stuff behind, including her cat.
Her mother Kate had chosen to live in the country for a change. “This will be fun!” She told Macie to cheer her up. “There will be lots of outdoor things to do! On the property I’ve heard there are some lovely dogs!”
“Oh great! Dogs.” Made said sarcastically.
Soon they were travelling along the highway and Macie was fast asleep.
“Macie we’re here!” Kate called to her daughter.
Macie woke with a start. “Wha-?” Macie drowsily hopped out of the car onto the dusty ground of the property and was overwhelmed, not just by her surroundings, but by two dogs.
As the bushes fought against the wind and the sun blazed on to the ground, two dogs came rushing up to her, one black and white and the other sandy yellow. Immediately Macie locked eyes with the black and white one, forgetting all grief and loss.
Months later…
Macie woke up for school, not woken by her alarm clock, which was currently broken on the floor, but by...? Jessie, the neighbour’s dog, the same black and white one she met when she first arrived at their new property. When Macie rode home from the bus stop, who was waiting for her? Jessie, lashing his tongue against the wind.
After waking up for the second time with her alarm clock broken, Macie got ready for school, but when she said goodbye to Jessie, she noticed something in his ear. “Mum! There’s something in Jessie’s ear!”
Macie had gone to school more worried than ever!
When she came home, she immediately checked on Jessie. “He’s doing fine.” Kate told her. “He just had a scrub tick.”
“A scrub tick!” Macie exclaimed! She sat down with the dog and looked up at her mother. “Please don’t say he’ll die!”
“He might, but if you take good care of him for our neighbour while he’s on holiday I’m sure he’ll live.”
A few days had passed and Jessie just got worse. On the third day Macie had setup some blankets and a water bowl for the dog. “He won’t drink.” Kate said despondently.
“Let me try...” Macie said, gently placing the water close to the dog. Slowly Jessie lapped the water. It was a miracle!
But as more days passed Jessie was still sick.
The neighbour had come home and was sitting in his rocking chair. “The dog’s had ‘em before.” He had said to Macie. “Jess’ made it this far.”
Weeks later, Macie was looking at a hole dug by Coco, the sandy yellow dog. In it, was Jessie, alive and well!
Jessie jumped out and shook himself. He rushed up to Macie and sat down with her on the hill, gazing into the blazing sun.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!