1950

Trust, such a powerful word. It is often thrown around the place, people using it just for fun, but it shouldn’t be used like that. The rubble streets, people shuffling along in two perfectly straight lines. Their faces expressionless masks with no identity. Their shoulders hunched so far over that anyone a mile away could see the vulnerability seeping out of them. One step out of line. That is all it takes for the Government to see you as a threat, a communist. This democratic country of America having little to offer. The town hall, time ticking by being brought to attention by the large clock sealed by brick. The time has come, people need to speak out against the Government, say that what the Government is doing is wrong, at least before it is too late. Hurry.
“Hurry” a girl with bright red hair yells to her sister, small and wide eyed she gets up from the corner running to her sister. It is time for them to leave, with the hustle and bustle on the streets they will go unnoticed.
Out on the streets the sky is a mixture of grey and black as though a storm is brewing. Her little sister green eyes wide and her clothing hanging off her body barley touching the fragile skin beneath, her ribs sticking out so far, a blind person could see them.
Should she say something or not? This question bouncing around in her head. Can she risk it? The thought of helping other people that were innocent, but how would helping them affect her, her sister. Defying the Government could cause so much loss and even more could be taken from them. She needs to protect her sister.
Her red hair falling over her face, shoulders hunched like the rest of them. How could she choose between the life of innocent people and the life of herself and the remainder of her family? She shouldn’t have to choose.
The clock strikes midday and the shuffling continues, glimpses of distraught and worry being passed through the eyes of others. People being torn from their homes. Not being able to come to terms with herself for leaving innocent people behind. Tired and sore, everyone terrified of the events and the mystery of what is to happen next. Following the rules and conforming to something that is horribly wrong could destroy humanity.
She steps out of line, not knowing if this is the right thing to do. Pulled into an ally. “Don’t move.” The girl with the red hair says, her fragile sister not moving. She then leaves her there and goes to fight for what is right. Maybe she was communist? Her hair red, the colour of communism. How could she choose between her own life and the life of others? She couldn’t leave them. So, she chose to sacrifice. What happens next is unknown to her but she’ll do what she can.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!