Dangerous Love

I gently creep along the damp road, avoiding any eye contact. I knew I wasn’t allowed to sneak out of the house, but when I wake the only thing I desired was the damp grass under my feet and the sweet scent of flowers filling my nose.
I reach the end of the road as the first rays of light are released into the sky. I had to be quick if I want to get back before my family wake. I carefully remove my shoes and scramble into the unknown. I stare at the towering trees and wonder what stories they keep sealed inside them, when I hear a roar. Was that a lion? I shake the thought away and head back. Once again, I stop short and face the roar, this time I am sure. Once I reach the place I assume the peculiar noise has come from, I slowly lower to my knee and peek into a hole. I gasp at the creature laying before my eyes. I feel like running but curiosity gets the best of me. The creature has the head of a goat, the body of a lion and a serpent for a tail. It doesn’t go to attack me which surprises me. I glance up at the sky and panic as I realise how late it is. I cautiously pat it, make a few promises and dash out of the forest. I get a few curious glances and questions thrown at me, but I don’t hesitate and hurry past them. I have a devilish smirk on my face as I imagine the creature I have just discovered. I know I can’t tell anyone and I am going to have to keep it concealed from the world. I skid to a stop in front of home. My absence has not gone unnoticed.
My heart is pounding as I let the door swing open to reveal the horror that awaits me. I feel like I’m being set on fire, until I realize I’m about to cry. I blink away the tears angrily, I will not give my audience the pleasure of watching me cry. Stretched before me is a dim tunnel like hallway, leading to my hell, my home, my family. I saunter down the hallway as the wind slams the door closed behind me. I halt at the sound and hunch over, there’s no escaping now. I reach the kitchen as a hand collides with the back of my head, causing me to crash to the ground. The sound of laughter rings all around me and it becomes harder to resist the water threatening to roll down my cheeks. My head pounds and my vision blurs as a rough hand grips the back of my collar. I instantly recognise it as my brother, Alex’s. I cry in outrage at him, stopping abruptly when my eyes fall upon my mother sauntering over, whip trailing behind her. My body goes rigid, “I’m sorry…”, Alex’s voice trails off.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!