Pressure

1st in the 'Time To Write 2018/2019' competition

A male lies on the operating table. His eyes are unmoving, unseeing, shimmering in the bright light though no oceans of thought are reflected from their depths. A great slash runs along the middle of his body, opening up his skin in a sickening crevice which grotesquely displays his organs for all to see. I stand above him, a scalpel trembling in my left hand. Three colleagues stand aside, utensils ready beside them. A bead of sweat forms on my forehead, and I brush it aside.
My scalpel lowers. I can hear my breaths in great rasps, a sound which deafens my ears. I do not instruct my arm to move, but it does. Everything in my world is cut off except for this moment. I feel as though I am in a fugue-like state. All memories are cast from my mind, and my thoughts suspend from travelling in their regular frantic circle. I am vaguely aware that the scalpel is moving towards the patient’s heart, as if there was a helping hand from the back of my mind enclosing my own, urging it forwards. I succumb to the power of the waves, not daring to fight against their force. The tip of my blade touches his heart, and I plunge it through the external layers. Patience and precision are the key tools that I can wield to prevent a dreadful cataclysm.
As though through a thousand walls and seas, I hear a voice, as faint as it is distracting.
“Henry… be careful…”
The voice jerks me from my tranquil flow of methodological approach, and my hand – the scalpel – abruptly sears across the crucial crimson organ upon which I am supposed to be working with exactitude. There is no chance of success now. His heart is destroyed.
A numbing pain freezes my mind. The momentousness of my mistake hits me in a single thunderous second, and I have to grip the operating table to withhold my mental stability from erupting into a chaotic mess of fire and ashes. My colleagues are as silent as trees. Only the faintest whispers pass through their lips like wisps of wind. I can see something in their eyes – anger. They blame me for what I have done. And I, as their colleague, have made this mistake not only on my behalf but also on theirs.
I allow hope to shine throughout my soul. I cannot give up. I can fix this – surely. There has to be a way.
As I force the scalpel onto the patient’s body and frantically attempt to do something – anything – I feel the watchful eyes of my superior on the back of my head. His hand clasps upon my shoulder. Soothingly, he says,
“Henry, it’s over.”
“No!” I plead, dimly aware that I yelled the word.
“I’m sorry…” He starts.
I brace myself for what is to come. I know what he will say before his lips part.
“Henry, your group has failed the mouse dissection.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!