Never Lose Hope

To Esther 5/6/1853
Esther, to this day I still think about you. It all started in 1850 when I was sentenced to seven years transportation for attempting to steal firewood for you and Mother. It was a cold, winters day and we we’re afraid you would freeze from the intense weather. Mother told me to get something warm, so I did. I walked quickly and slickly over to the carpenter’s headquarters and spotted the firewood. Without hesitation, I bundled some in my arms and ran, however, I was caught by the soldiers, they gave chase. I unluckily tripped on a rock, perched in the dirt and fell. The soldiers grabbed me by the arms and took me to the judge. I fear I may never see you again.

We set sail on the 1/2/1850 to New Holland on the Scarborough. We were confined to cells in the ship’s lower decks, where it was cold and damp. We became sick and hungry from lack of food, we now sit thoughtlessly in our cells with no hope. All we had were two measly buckets, one used for water, the other as a lavatory. Many people were dying from the diseases developed from the horrendous conditions, it was devastating.

Finally, after six long months of agonising hunger, intense seasickness and continuous sadness onboard the Scarborough, we reached the land know as New Holland. It was the most horrible experience I have ever encountered as we were rounded up and forced to attempt our first day of extreme labour. I had been assigned as a cook for the bakery, due to having experience in the past cooking for you and Mother. We then were forced to wear uncomfortable and drastically itchy black and yellow uniforms, which included pictures of arrows, to signal that we were a convict. At las cane breakfast, lunch and dinner. The unfortunate people who were placed in Solitary Confinement were served rotting bread and bug-infested water, luckily, we were served salted meats and stews, but they still tasted ghastly. Esther, I am so sorry for my crime, I did not mean for this to happen however, I will eventually return, some day.

Cooks never receive free time because we have to cook for all the other convicts, including the trouble-making convicts in Solitary Confinement. The only time we have interaction with other convicts is while we are eating our meals and still, we were to busy eating our food to notice anyone else.

Oh, how much I miss you Esther. I really dislike New Holland, I want to be home with you. I hope I will see you again, remember to never lose hope Esther, they can take away our home, our family, our friends, but they can never take away our hope, we will reunite.
From your loving sister, Victoria Edwards.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!