A Shadow In The Mist

"AHHH!" her terrified scream echoed across the lake. Her throat pounded to the rhythm of her heartbeat. The sickening taste of bile burned like acid as her legs gave out underneath her. The mist, dense and bright, surrounded her. The distant sound of croaking toads, dragonflies and the waves lapping at the shore were nothing but background noise. A shadow appears in front of her. Her body froze, and she rose a shaking hand.
"Please, I have a family" her words now just nothing more then a whimper.
The shadow slowly crept nearer and near until it loomed over her.
BANG

"Breaking news. A thirty-five year old was murdered at lake flying axe. Detectives are unable to find who the murderer was, but it is confirmed that she suffered a bullet wound to the head."
I stand and move towards my daughters room. She is twelve now but I still tuck her into her bed she has since she was five. I could see the fear in her eyes and my heart broke.
"Dad, where has mum gone?" her voice quiet and sad.
"Did you see it? The news?"
Her head moves up and down slowly as she starts shiver, tears pooling down her face. The warm light was too much, so I flicked the switch and held m daughter in my arms. The sickness sunk in me like the sinking of the titanic. I had never felt so empty and lost. She was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!