The Last Goodbye

"Aren't you scared, what if something happens?" whispered Mrs Fletcher.
"I'm sure father and I will be fine, Thomas confidently answered, however his voice did not appear to persuade his mother, as he walked out the door.
"Father! Tom! What about my hug?" exclaimed Elizabeth. Thomas and Mr. Fletcher had forgotten about Elizabeth. She sprinted down the steps, almost knocking them over.
"Will you come back?" she asked. A sudden moment of silence fell upon them.
"Yes, we will," sighed Thomas, choking on his words, as he went down the steps, possibly for the last time.
"Mother, what happens if Father and Tom don't return?" she questioned.
"Sweetie, war isn't always about returning. It’s about fighting for rights and fighting for your country. One day, everyone will know your father and brother as strong men that fought for our country. And you should cherish your time with your loved ones, because you never know when it’s the last goodbye."

Two whole years passed and there was a mini family celebration for the Fletcher's.
"Finally, the war is over," exclaimed Mrs Fletcher, "and we won!"
"I'm so glad, two whole years of coming and going," replied Thomas,"we're lucky to be alive!"

Some time later, it was announced that the enemies were planning an attack again.
"I'm sorry sweetheart, I know it’s your birthday tomorrow, but we have to go." sighed Mr Fletcher.
"We promise to bring you gifts," persuaded Thomas.
The next morning, Thomas and Mr. Fletcher left early, thinking they would see Elizabeth again, like every other time.
The walked down the stairs, trying not to turn back.

Two whole weeks had passed, and there was no sign of Mr Fletcher or Thomas. There was a sudden knock on the door, which startled Mrs Fletcher.
“Yes! They’re finally home!” she exclaimed.
“Good evening Mrs Fletcher, I have a message for you.” Explained Captain Edward. “Some soldiers came over for an attack without our knowledge, and some soldiers from our side are no longer with us. I am sorry."
"How can this be! They returned every time, and they didn't even see Elizabeth before they left!" cried Mrs Fletcher.

Elizabeth had just woken up and realized, she hadn't received something from her brother and father. She didn't care about the presents. She didn't want anything. She kept weeping and weeping until she couldn't cry anymore. She tried to remember what her mother had told her. Then it suddenly hit her, she hadn't received a hug, or her last goodbye.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!