Living Dead

LIVING DEAD

I was captivated in an enclosure of darkness. A scream echoed of my own. My hand reached up to the fresh air of freedom. As I hoisted myself up, a dark silhouette ran past me. Behind I saw a hole and gravestone with my name written. The rusty, abandoned gates creaked as I shoved them open. The outlandish flowers around me were all dark and gloomy. In fact everything I saw was dull and depressing. The dilapidated School of Thomas Mountain came into view as I strode on the cracked concrete path. The glass door was shattered, revealing an outstretched, pitch black corridor.

I had to look for my gravedigger. I broke into a run and had a chill down my spine as I entered the school. The room to my left had a chalkboard with 2 names: Luke (gardener) 037686525, Blackbeard (security guard) 029207857. I snatched a piece of paper and pen from a table then scrawled the information. I had a suspicion that it could be one of them who buried me to start with. Now to locate a phone, I plunged into the principal’s office.

The first number I dialed was Luke who I suspected most. He answered almost instantly and I questioned him: “Where were you at…” I checked my watch but it didn’t say anything… “1 hour ago?”
“I was in the cafe drinkin’ coffee n’ got a sandwich. Afterwards, wen’ in me car n’ drove meself back ‘ome,” he said with a mouthful of food.
“Your proof?” I asked him.
“Well the garden’s a mess isn’t it? Doesn’t tha’ mean I wasn’ there,” he replied and hung up. I took a glance through the window but the lawn was all neat and the flowers were laid out.

Just as I was about to dial Blackbeard, named after the fiercest pirate ever, I heard footsteps outside. I poked my head out the door and saw a security guard the size of a grizzly bear! As I skimmed across the name tag, he made a low growl. There was complete pandemonium, I started to run with Blackbeard on my tail. I ran fast as the speed of light that everything became blurry. My heart started beating in my throat. Cold air rushed against my face making it feel numb. Eventually I had to double take when I thought to myself, why was I running in the first place?

Blood was rushing to my head. I’m hot, sweat is pouring down my face. Is this what people describe as Feeling Scared? I’ve never experienced this before. Well at least the security guard couldn’t seize me. Wait! Is this another Feeling of relief and Happiness? All these “Feelings” are making me feel preternatural! I’m feeling more Alive than ever before! All these years I’ve been compressing my feelings deep down in a black hole in my heart. I was the murderer to blame who killed my own soul. Without Feelings, you’re just a Dead Man Walking!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!