Ocean

I stepped down the rocks and slowly approached the glittering, blue-green ocean. Waves splashed gently towards my feet and the fresh sea-breeze made my hair frizz. Hesitantly, I stepped closer towards the water, sunlight reflecting off the liquid in all directions. The sky above me was clear and there was no sign of clouds. My body was begging me to jump into the cool, glistening sea, however my mind was telling me otherwise. The blazing sun rays sizzled against my skin, turning it a vibrant shade of red.

The wait became too much for me and I jumped into the cold water, ready for a nice refreshment. Suddenly, the water below me split and I fell straight onto the hard, wet sand. I wasn't rehydrated and I definitely wasn't refreshed. I hadn't even touched the water. I stepped forward toward the water and once again, it split under me and my foot landed on the hard sand again right where the water had been. How was it doing this? My heart was beating faster and my mind was racing.

I started to run deep into the sea and the water split under my feet after every step. The fish and creatures also split around me forming a path of sand under my legs. I looked back and the ocean was behind me, the waves splattering on my legs. I went in deeper and deeper. Finally, I turned around ready to go back, but I couldn't. The water stayed and I was forced to swim.

Why? I couldn't swim! My mind started racing and my heart felt as though it was going to pop right out of my chest. A spirit appeared in my head.
"Swim" it said
"Swim?" I questioned, "I can't swim!"
"Swim" the spirit repeated, "Swim", and it disappeared.
I jumped into the water and instantly sank, right to the bottom of the sea. I floated back up slowly, holding my breath.
Swim. The word was stuck in my head. Swim, swim, swim.
I gained more confidence and looked around for some sort of help. Nothing.

The horizon of the beach wasn't even visible through the waves anymore and I could just make out a ship travelling towards me. I decided to take my chances. Pouncing into the water I swam back towards the beach. I began to lose my breath but my body kept moving. Shooting through the waves, I was praying that I didn't lose my balance and fall deep under the water. Slowly, the horizon came back and I could walk through the water and onto the sand. As I went home, the feeling of the cool sea stayed with me.

"Why were you so LATE?" my mother questioned me.
"Well... Long Story" I answered.
"Tell me in one word..." she challenged
I replied, "Ocean".

We sat done for dinner and ate in a comfortable silence. Thoughts rushing through both of our heads. To break the silence, I repeated the word once more,
"Ocean..."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!