The Red Panda And The Fox

My red fur glistened in the morning sun, the black paw pads under my feet burning from the rays of light. As I lifted my head, I opened my beady eyes. I gazed down at my fur and paws. It was my first day of adult hood, I was three years old.
I rose up and stretched. My muscles flexed and felt more able to move about. I leaped down the tree and onto the land below. I gazed around until I saw a patch of squashed grass and fading paw prints of dogs.
"Jules! Jules! They're coming! Ru-!"
I shook my head. "Leave me alone!" I shouted to myself. "Why me? What did I do?"
I collapsed onto the ground and my eyelids forced themselves shut.
I awoke to the smell of fish breath. The rancid smell running through my nostrils as though it were in a marathon. I slowly opened my eyes and stood before me was an orange-furred fox. His pelt was lava, shimmering under the sun like smelting gold. A shiver ran down my spine.
He sat and gazed at my eyes. Then he sat on his haunches and panted like a dog.
"You... okay?" His delayed and scratchy voice somehow soothed me and my body relaxed.
"Uh. Yeah, yeah. I think so."
"Good. A vulture or something was eying you up, so I... 'took care of him'."
He glanced behind me for a split second. As quickly as possible, I followed his gaze and saw a black figure lying in the grass.
"That's a crow." I said.
"Well, you don't need to get technical."
I stifled a laugh. He looked at me then cocked his head. "What animal are you?" He asked, confused but intrigued.
"A red panda. What about you?" I knew what he was, but I thought I should just make sure.
"I'm a fox!" He answered proudly.
"Okay."
We sat there in silence for a moment. Finally, the fox broke the silence. Unfortunately, it was after it got awkward.
"Well... I better be off."
"Bye."
"You okay still?"
"Yeah."
"Are you sure?"
"Yep!"
"You sure you're sure?"
It felt like an interrogation.
"Super sure?" He questioned.
"YES!" I yelled a little too loud. The birds in the trees cawed and flew away, flapping their wings hard to gain height.
I cowered in the grass. My foxy friend looked hurt. "Sorry." I mumbled. "I didn't mean to be that loud."
"Its okay. I know when I'm not wanted."
"Oh, don't be like that. Please! I'm sorry!" I begged.
"No! You're not sorry!" He growled.
I turned and raced back up the tree in fear that he'd eat me. I watched him from above as his ears folded down. He was sad, that was all I could tell from that height. He turned and slowly padded away. Then I never saw him again, or did I?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!