The Fault In My Heart

Flashes of eyes cross my face, their heads collapsing in their hands, bursting into tears at the sound of my name. i tilt my head looking at her. My other half, sleeping peacefully, while I lay awake, my eyes feeling raw and and bloodshot.

Who would have thought? Everyone knew it was going to happen. We were racing to be the oldest in the world - the oldest conjoined twins in the world. But no. The heart - my heart its going to take a break for a while. Well that's what mum says anyway.

We are joined at the waist. Me Lexi, and my sister Ivy - the favourite. So when the doctors gave my parents the choice who to keep alive, oh it was such a tough decision - NOT.

The past three weeks flew by, it eventually all became a blur.

"Lexi"
"Yeah?" I reply, breaking my daydream.

"You okay?" She asked, as we lay on the hospital bed. Before I could answer, Mum burst into the room. Then a doctor walks in and checks our pulses.

So I believe we are going ahead with seperating you both? And Lexi has been diagnosed with a faulty heart?

Mum nods.

"Have you found a donor?"
"Sh..she's too rare", Mum stutters.
"So have you chosen?"

Every minute felt like an hour. I tried to distract myself but all I kept hearing was...

"Are you sure you want to Ivy?"
And her replying, "yes she deserves this more than me."

Before I could say anything, the mask came over my head and it all went black.

I slowly opened my eyes. The lights were blurring. Is this what heaven looks like? But then I heared mum whisper beside me. Her head was in her hands - she looked exhausted.

She smiled at me through tears. "Ivy didn't make it."



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!