The Orphanage

The day I arrived at the orphanage was the worst day of my life. Well, other than the day I got the news of the car crash. The orphanage was a grey, dreary building at the edge of town, it had about fifty rooms, each containing two children, the beds were stiff and damp, and the food was dry and tasteless. Each child was given a day plan, first up was breakfast, then it was lessons and lunch, and finally gym and dinner, the orphanage only offered one bright side, and that was my room mate. I met Tulip when I first arrived at the orphanage, I had just found my room, and as soon as I got inside I slumped down on my hard, dusty mattress and cried big, harsh sobs unaware of my company. Then, the girl, who’s name was Tulip, whispered me comforting words until my sobs became sniffs, and from then on Tulip and I were the best of friends.

The orphanage was a terrible place, and my patience was beginning to wear , the same routine day after day was boring, and my heart sought adventure, I couldn’t live like this much longer… Then, one night as Tulip and I were beginning to get ready for bed, I made up my mind, my mum was never coming back, and I had given up on my dad ever recovering a long time ago, it was time to leave, the only problem was Tulip, I needed her if I was going to pull this off, so I had to get her on board. That night, as Tulip and I lay in our beds, I whispered to her in the dark” Pst, Tulip, are you awake?”
“No!” She replied, turning over onto her side,
“ I, I think I’m going to run away!” I exclaimed to Tulip “ I think it’s time we tried something new.”
“ Bu but where are you going to go?” Tulip stammered helplessly
“I’ll go to the woods just outside the orphanage” I explained to her, though I hadn’t worked out the details out, and was starting to doubt our plan, “ Come with me Tulip!” I begged.
“ But what about food and water?” Tulip asked, her bright blue eyes wide with worry
“ we’ll raid the kitchen the night before”I said “ Come on Tulip, it’ll be… fun!”
“ But what about the animals?” She said almost crying now, “ What about the terrorists and the drug dealers, and… and the killers?!” Tulip exclaimed, nearly shouting now, “ This is serious Sofie! This isn’t just one of your games!”
“ Ok, Ok” I said, “ I know, and I’ll take it seriously! So, are you in ?”
Tulip looked at me considering
“ Pleaaaaase?” I pleaded,
“ Fine” She said “ I’m in.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!