Break Free

The Fire was free. Her house was burning. Her life was done. She wanted to be free.

Madison lived a hard life on the farm. She loved the farm, but the hard parts were droughts, floods and most of all fires!

One day she felt a shock of lightning down her back. It was painful! She ran out to Creamy, her brumby. Creamy was a creamy colour and Madison and Creamy were very close. A few months ago, Creamy just started getting used to humans. Madison was the first to get smelt and immediately Creamy fell in love with her so Creamy became Madison’s horse.

Recently, Madison has been getting these lightning bolts down her back, strangely enough Creamy has to. Creamy was galloping in the fields more wildly than ever. The other horses, Waves and Midnight, were also galloping around the fields away from Creamy and Coo was just standing eating his food more quickly than he has ever before. (Coo LOVES … food!) Creamy went running to Madison and instantly Madison wrapped her arms around her. ‘It will be ok. We will get through this together.” Madison had a worrying feeling that something bad was going to happen and yes her instincts were right.

The fire spread, Creamy felt like she was about to melt and she ran to Madison’s bedroom window and wildly were banging her hooves on the window. Madison woke up, looked out the window and she could see Creamy shivering. She put on her dressing gown, slipped on her gumboots and raced outside to see Creamy. Madison smelt smoke and Creamy was whining “Your right it is a fire! We have to get the other horses and wake up my mum, dad and my sister!’’

Madison woke up her mum, dad and her sister and they went outside. They saw the fire rolling down the hills overlapping yabby dam. Coo ran to dad, Waves ran to mum and Midnight ran to Sophie. We all got backpacks and put our most important things in them. We ran to the barn and grabbed the cats Jack, the dog and their belongings as well as the horse’s important things.

The cats and Jack were ready to chase us as we hopped onto our horses and… ran free! The fish were in a big zip lock bag in my backpack. We ran up the highway into darkness, the moon’s light shining our direction. The sound of silence erupted over us and then we could hear the screams, the wind, the fire chasing us and ready to swallow us whole, but nothing could stop us, as our horses were breaking free into the darkness. Whatever came across us we could face, but the fire was still chasing us. It was HELL.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!