The Miraculous Night Sky

Wisps of the ocean sprayed them tormentingly, and washing away their hope, it left them left empty and full of thirst.
What good was surviving? What happiness was the torture?
No one spoke this aloud in the darkness. It was only the whistling wind and the creaking of the boat under them that made any sound. They were lost and the ocean stretched endlessly around them, scorning as its poisonous water swayed before them to inflame their terrifying thirst; spiting as it washed their cracked tongues with salt, which they swallowed in despair. The joy of life to them was a candle, and the candle snuffed out.
Death or life?
The question burdened, drowned them in their misery, choked them in their forlornness’s, salted the wound of their desertion. They nodded to sleep, full of thoughts and dreams. But they couldn’t delve into them, as determined as they were.
Because there was something there with much greater determination, such to burn their eyes. Immediately they stood, with the desire to live and breathe.
“I believe no man has beheld a spectacle such as this!” A man ejaculated at the sky, his hands high in praise to the heavens, his eyes full of happiness. Blissfully, he breathed the ice-cold freshness of the air. For above and shining on them, was the night sky entirely painted with stars, where the brush-strokes shone exquisitely with myriads of different colours, appearing as one miraculous moon. Its radiance filled the water with light and colour, revealing another world beneath them, where the life swam joyfully, environed in the beautiful gleam.
Nothing was hidden! Some fish even rose higher to gaze upon the glorious sky.
“Impeccable beauty! Beyond all imagination! I say no man has thought of anything like this! Let it be so! No one else would lay eyes to marvel on this ever again!” The man in reverence cupped his hands under the heavenly water and sucked at it lustily, “Beneath the light of the stars it has become pure, without bitterness! It is like water changing to wine!” And they all drank and found that it was pure, as if it had never touched a grain of salt.
What horrible thoughts had consumed them before? How little hope they had! But now to gaze at the sky, it was like the stars had emanated joy in the very air they breathed. It was like one watching eye full of light.
“Now I wonder why this is so,” the man talked with the others, “that a mere a sight could rid us of all hunger and sadness. How the clustered light of the stars has made the water pure to drink for us to be happy… It is peculiar indeed!”
“A wonder more like,” said one of the others, “but from where? Or who? And how? Who is it with this power?”
The music in the air was sound from an extravagant instrument, behind the clouds. The player faded, as the sky darkened again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!