One Touch Of Joy

Once upon a time there lived a very old man that told stories to every child in his street. Until one day he just stopped telling the children stories. It has been 18years since anyone had even seen the man in the street or opened his door. I am Billy and I am 22years old and want to know why the old man just quit his interesting stories. I decided I was going to walk over there and knock on his door and ask him the real reason.
First, I put on my jacket and walked across town to his front yard. It was a very old over grown yard with a creaky old gate. I opened the gate and walked up the wobbly path to his rickerty old steps, I carefully walked up steps and knocked on his big old dusty door. Knock Knock There was No answer, but the door opened a little. I slowly pushed the door open further and peered inside the old man’s house. I could hear a very soft whisper coming from the other room. It sounded like there was someone on the phone maybe? But who and who would they be talking too? Surely it couldn’t be Mr Alcoson? No one had seen or heard from him in 18years.
I had to find out!
I called out “Hello is anyone home?
The voice in the other room replied Just me, who is it?
Its Billy, Is that you Mr Alcoson? I called back Yes, Billy! and there he was standing in the hallway. He looked much Older,shorter and his beard was much longer than I remembered from all those years ago, but something else was very different. He looked very sad .
May I come in Please? I asked
Yes, but I don’t know how I can help you Billy?
I have one question Mr Alcoson, why did you stop reading stories to all the children?
Mr Alcoson looked up at me and softly said Hmm, you see Billy I was getting older,very tired and I just couldn’t manage the long walk into town alone anymore. His voice was soft and sad. He told me how much he missed telling his stories and the children wanting to hear more.
So that was it? I had finally found out why Mr Alcoson stopped reading to the children. Mystery Solved...
I asked Mr Alcoson if I could come visit again, he said he would love that and hoped I would come back soon. As I walked home I had an idea how I could help him be happy again. I talked to my mum and our neighbour about it, and they both agreed to help me. A couple days later I returmed to Mr Alcoson's house, but this time I wasn't alone I had a small group of the town's children and their parents with me. When we knocked on Mr Alcoson's door and he answered, this time his sad eyes started to smile as he seen everyone. I'm happy to say Mr Alcoson is now sitting on his front porch reading to all the children that come and visit every week.
The funny thing is Mr Alcoson doesn’t look so old now, he is sitting up straight, has his best clothes on and he voice isn’t soft like that day I first went to his house. But the best part is he is Happy again and I know this because he eyes are sparkling just like they use to when I was little.
The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!