Reunited

Rachel woke up to the sound of whimpering coming from outside her bedroom door. She tumbled out of bed and opened it. In front of Rachel sat her border collie, Stanley. Rachel went back into her room and pulled on some swimmers, then old jeans and a blue t-shirt. She decided to play under the sprinkler later. Rachel ran out of her room and out the back door. She pulled on her joggers and ran down the hill with Stanley right beside her. Rachel had only been living in the house upon the hill for two weeks. She hadn’t had time to enjoy the house… or it’s ten acres. She had spent two weeks unpacking. Rachel had set out to explore before her mum could find her a job to do. She turned and started jogging.
Rachel spent hours exploring. She had just discovered a family of kangaroos when she heard running water. She pushed the willow tree that she had just walked into aside and before her eyes lay a river. Rachel was confused. Mum hadn't said anything about a river. Rachel checked that she was still on their property. Yes, she was. She turned her attention back to the river. Suddenly Stanley bolted into the water. Rachel laughed and dipped her hand into the water “hey!” she thought “the current is not strong at all!” she pulled off her clothes, swimmers on she slipped into the stream. All of a sudden, the current became ten times stronger. Rachel started to panic. She tried to call Stanley, but no sound came out. Rachel tried to swim to the bank, but she was weak compared to the strong current. She spent a long time trying to fight it, but it was useless.
Rachel was just wondering where the stream led to when she realised that a fence was coming up. It was barbed wire. Rachael position her hands ready to grab it. She knew her hands would get cut but right now she didn't care. 3…2...1… she grabbed the fence. It was then that she remembered…“Stanley!” she looked around. He had apparently managed to get out of the stream, he was now running alongside her on the bank. Stanley stopped at the fence. Rachel realised that her hands were bleeding and stinging like crazy. Could she send Stanley back for help? Would it take too long? She decided to see if she could edge along the fence to the bank. But before she could do that, she lost her grip. Stanley jumped the fence and kept running barking ferociously all the while. Rachel was really panicking now. A sudden burst pulled her under. She thought she was going to drown when a sturdy hand grasped her arm and pulled her out. Rachel coughed and spluttered. She couldn’t seem to be able to open her eyes. Then somebody picked her up and started walking in huge strides. Those strides, that warmth, the smell, all seemed so familiar. Could it be…? Daddy…?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!