Careful What You Wish For

Ava was everything her parents could ever wish for. Her parents gave up so much for her and loved Ava with all their heart. But now and then, Ava felt lonely, even when surrounded by family and friends. She wished she had a sister. Before she knew it, her mum was expecting a baby girl. Ava was over the moon! It felt like magic. Someone made her wish come true.

Months went by, then the day came for baby Everly to come home. Relatives and close friends had all gathered at their house anxiously waiting. Then they heard keys at the door and Ava’s parents stepped inside holding baby Everly. Ava was overjoyed and rushed over to them. Everly eyes were wide open staring. Ava started back and whispered, “I love you.”

A couple months had passed. Ava loved Everly, but she noticed something. Before Everly came, Ava had all the attention. Now, everything their parents did was to do with Everly. Ava got more bothered by this as days went by, until one day when she had enough.

It all started when Ava woke up to silence. Unusual. She walked to the kitchen and a note was left on the fridge. “We’ve taken Everly to Nan and Pop. You’ll have to take the bus. Love Mum.” Ava fumed. She ripped up the note and got ready for school. She opened the fridge and for the third time this week her parents forgot to make her lunch. She finished packing her bag and bolted out the door headed for the bus stop. Her bus left and she ran after it yelling. Ava was drenched in sweat as she entered her class. The room fell silent and everyone stared at her. She kept her head down and went to her desk. The class then turned around and went back to work. Her friend, Lauren looked at her and said, “Happy Birthday!!! But, what happened?”

“I hate Everly so much!” Then she thought, what if it was really magic when she wished for a sister. Couldn’t she wish for the baby never to have been born. “I wish she was never here!”, Ava added. Nothing happened. Of course not. Who actually believes in magic? It’s just made up for children. School finished, and she headed home. The house was quiet. What if the wish…She pushed open the door and “SURPRISE!” Her parents and relatives came out from their hiding places. Ava looked up at the sign. ‘Happy Birthday Ava!’ it read. She went over to her parents, and asked, “Where’s Everly?” They looked at her, “Who’s Everly?” The wish came true! “Oh nobody,” she said. That night she still couldn’t fall asleep. She felt so selfish. Not everything was about me, Ava thought. She needed to learn to just let things be the way they were sometimes and know the world doesn’t evolve around her. “I wish Everly was still here,” she whispered and closed her eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!